How do I upgrade XBMC on Acer Revo ?
Hi guys,

I installed XBMC on my Revo machine (on a seperate Linux partition on my Revo - other one boots into Win 7) - which has been working flawlessly since day 1.

I'm not sure of the XBMC version, but set it up 2 years ago now, so must be well out of date lol.

How do I go about updating XBMC on the Revo - is there a simple upgrade procedure, or do you need to start from scratch again to install a new copy ? What benefits are there of upgrading XBMC to a newer version ?

I've had a search on here & only found posts from 2010, so not sure if they are accurrate ?

I'm also interested in getting IceFilms on the box if possible, or is not allowed to be discussed (albeit you can choose not to perform illegal activities with this plugin)?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
It all depends on your distribution. Most popular distributions have some way of updating to the latest Xbmc version; however, while the latest stable is 10.1, 11 is around the corner (first beta came out on Christmas' Eve).
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
What's the best way of identifying this ?

I think it was a "Live" version if that makes any sense ?

Thanks for the reply
Live is based off Ubuntu, but I've never used it myself, so I don't know how you can check its version.

You should check the Xbmc log file in ~/.xbmc/temp, it will print the OS it's running on somewhere at the top:

Code:
$ grep Linux .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | head -1
20:33:23 T:140098454165376  NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Arch Linux, 3.2.0-2-ARCH x86_64). Built on Jan  8 2012 (Git:Unknown)

There should be instructions on this subforum on how to upgrade Live installations to the newer Xbmc builds.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Blog
Cant guarantee this will work for you, but I had a live installation, and I used this link:

http://shadower16.wordpress.com/2011/10/...nightlies/

The steps executed were:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
Cheers guys.

Would you recommend updating then ? What newer features do you get ?
Besides the boatload of bugfixes, there is hardware acceleration support (VDPAU in 10.x, also VA-API in the 11.0 development builds), built-in NFS/SMB support (11.x development builds), and 'Dirty Region' support which causes Xbmc to need less CPU cycles to render its interface.

It's never bad to have a newer version, the container/codec support will no doubt have improved as well. Back up your library I'd say and give it a shot, if it does not work out you can still do a clean install.
* Blog
Thanks, I'll give this a bash this week Smile

My movie/TV data are all on an external HDD that is plugged into the Revo, so only the XBMC program is on the partition.

As for the plugin mentioned in post 1, is that allowed to be discussed ?

Chris
Hi all,

I can confirm my current version is Ubuntu 9.10XBMCLive tty2

Trying to log into the terminal (ctr alt + F2) with xbmc/xbmc, but it's saying Login incorrect (I've never changed it).

Any ideas on where to go from here ?
Find out the credentials Xbmc Live is using. No doubt documented somewhere online.

As an alternative you could also join the Xbmc channel on IRC for such quick questions Smile.
* Blog
Can't find either online......

Not going well this already !
Still stuck finding the user/pass, any help appreciated.

Thanks
you probably do not want to follow those instructions and upgrade to 11 beta if you have been happy with v9 for 2 years. Why would you not wait for the final version?

try with user xbmc password xbmc.

You probably want install from scratch anyway since ubuntu have changed a lot since then.
When is the final version released ?

Appreciate the comment, I'll await the final release & then install from scratch then Smile

As for the user, tried xbmc & a whole host of others without success.

Thanks
check the system info menu to find what you are running as far as when the final will be out...its one of those it will be released when its done. If you have questions one method that I found that works is to use google to your advantage, when I was still getting my feet wet and from time to time today I would find a way to basically ask my question to google and it would lead me back to the correct thread on these forums.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I upgrade XBMC on Acer Revo ?0