[Windows] Time for a Multi-Threaded XBMC?
I'm hoping we can soon get dev support for a multi-threaded version of XBMC.

The first question many will ask is, why Smile

The answer is, performance...
chip makers are adding cores, not increasing Ghz, for many reasons.

And, XBMC users want smaller, cooler, cheaper devices to run XBMC on.

XBMC moves into the realm of PVR, very complex skins with high-res animations/gfx, more background processes with PVR recording/guides/scheduling, XBMC Addons running, and who knows what next.
... cheaper, cooler, quieter, low-powered devices (CPUs) become more difficult to use, if not impossible... in XBMC's current state, being single threaded.

Even if XBMC itself is not running the PVR parts, something is... and making XBMC more thread/CPU efficient will help enable an overall system efficiency that will allow users to run the devices that are now main-stream and perfect for set-top media devices.

I hope a dev will look into this as it could move XBMC to the next level of performance and ability to broaden the user base by getting XBMC on more devices, in more homes!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
XBMC is already multithreaded, and has been since it's inception. At any one time my guess is it's averaging about 15-20 threads.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

seen over 30 threads there sometimes Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Perhaps the confusion is because of this FAQ entry?

If you're actually suggesting XBMC should use less CPU resources when idle, I agree Smile
No the confusion sterns from picking up buzzwords without having the slightest of clue what they entail. much like your topical phb.
spiff Wrote:No the confusion sterns from picking up buzzwords without having the slightest of clue what they entail. much like your topical phb.

spiff you are quickly jumping to conclusions... I have quite a large amount of clue.

One small example of 'clue':
genomic sequencing systems are highly threaded. I helped design a system flow to reduce bottle necks in the app/hardware interaction (required code changes). This helped reduce overall system processing time from 2-4 days to 12-14 hours. I'm NOT a coder, but I understand systems fairly well.

Anyway - this is my confusion and must legacy - I remember a while back, JM saying something about XBMC being single threaded (or some part of it) and a multi-core CPU would not help increase XBMC performance... it was better to get a faster single core. Again, I don't remember the exact issue - maybe it was just video decoding or something.

Admittedly, this was a long time ago.

Sorry for sparking something that was not necessary.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Time for a Multi-Threaded XBMC?0