Zotac+XBMCbuntu - almost there - now a question
Ok, i'm almost there Smile

Zotac ZBOX now has XBMCbuntu installed and have successfully upgraded to RC1.
HDMI sound thru TV is sorted now.
Following other posts on this forum (summarised below), i've installed a USB bluetooth adapter and thats working fine:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103503

Quote: #sudo apt-get install bluez
sudo apt-get install python-gobject python-dbus

Got my BT key board paired and working ok following the rest of that thread above Big Grin so, now for the tricky bit... my PS3 controller...

So, following the start of this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=119006, i've installed the qtsixa app.

Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:falk-t-j/qtsixa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install qtsixa

I then plugged in my PS3 controller via USB cable, made sure it was on (charging), then at terminal prompt I entered:

Quote:sudo sixpair

Then removed the USB cable and then ran:

Quote:sixad --stop
sixad --start

And then pressed the PS button on the controller - all good so far Smile

Running the qtsixa app from the xbmcbuntu menu I can see the PS3 device listed and mac address shown:

Quote:00:23:06:17:83:54

back at terminal prompt I entered:

Quote:cat /proc/bus/input/devices

And the PS3 is shown.

Quote:I: Bus=0006 Vendor=054c Product=0268 Version=0100N: Name="PLAYSTATION®3 Controller (00:23:06:17:83:54)"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input5
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event4 js0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=20000b
B: KEY=1ffff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=7f fc00ffff
B: FF=7030000 0 0

I took a note of the name and updated the file

Quote:/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Sony.PLAYSTATION®3.Controller.xml

so that "joystick name" matched the name above.

Unfortunately this is as far as i've got. The PS3 controller doesn't seem to do anything so now i'm after some help Nod

Any takers on what I might be missing?
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
I have the exact same setup and issues. Did you ever get this working?
I actually gave up on the PS3 controller - just banged my head off the wall trying to get it working.

Instead, I bought a £7 Bluetooth miniature keyboard from ebay and used that instead - works great Smile
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
Glad you are liking your setup. I love my XBMCbuntu Zbox too! I'm sorry to hear the PS3 controller didn't work out though. I've been watching your thread to see if you get it working, as I'd like to use a bluetooth game controller of some sort as well. I have a universal remote, an Apple bluetooth keyboard and trackpad working, but the groovy Arkanoid addon in the Passion repo is hard to play with keys or remote buttons! lol
XBMCbuntu 11.0
Zotac ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34
URC RF-20 (configured with Flirc)
(2012-02-28, 23:21)nsviper Wrote: Unfortunately this is as far as i've got. The PS3 controller doesn't seem to do anything so now i'm after some help Nod

Very nice. Thank you very much for the great start. Have you rev-visited this at all? I've looked and tested and poked and prodded and I haven't been able to get any further.

Thanks!
(2012-04-26, 04:14)voiddreamer Wrote:
(2012-02-28, 23:21)nsviper Wrote: Unfortunately this is as far as i've got. The PS3 controller doesn't seem to do anything so now i'm after some help Nod

Very nice. Thank you very much for the great start. Have you rev-visited this at all? I've looked and tested and poked and prodded and I haven't been able to get any further.

Thanks!

Just spent way too much time on this myself, and was stuck at the same point as the OP. It's basically a timing issue. You've got your joystick xml in the right place (doesn't get picked up in ~/.xbmc/userdata under Eden) and presumably with the right device name inside. But your joystick has to be connected when xbmc launches for it to actually use the xml map. Grep your xbmc.log for 'joystick' - look for errors, not just the established message. Errors would indicate a problem with your mapping file. (see below for a portion of one I found during my searches)

Get the jstest (joystick) utility and run 'jstest /dev/input/js0' - this is another way to see if your button presses are registering. As you mentioned above, you can also tail the xbmc.log file, but if you're having problems with the controller this will often fail.

The next problem you'll have, if using this for games to be launched from Adv Launcher, is that the key presses will continue to register in xbmc while you are in the game. This can be solved by pausing xbmc using a small intermediate script - see here.

Now I'll go open a new post to see if there's a way to force xbmc to process the keymap for my sixaxis even when it's not connected at startup :/

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <joystick name="PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)">
      <altname>PS3 Controller</altname>
      <altname>Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)</altname>
      <button id="15">Select</button>
      <button id="14">ParentDir</button>
      <button id="17">FullScreen</button>
      <button id="1">Info</button>
      <button id="12">Queue</button>
      <button id="13">ContextMenu</button>