Can't get replaygain working
I've been experimenting with replaygain and i just can't seem to get it to work in xbmc.

As a test i made 2 copies of the same mp3 and lowered the gain of one of them with Audacity. Loaded up foobar 2k and right clicked and selected "scan per-file track gain" and then updated the tag on the copy i'd changed the gain on. Loaded up xbmc and turned on replaygain with "use track levels" added the 2 files to the library.

In xbmc it made no difference at, had one loud track and one quiet.
In foobar 2k both copies play fine.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Can you tell me what version of XBMC you're using? Eden 11.0 or nightlies?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Im using a nightly compiled today (25/05/12)

I'll quickly install eden, test and report back in a mo.
@ DDDamian

I think i've found the problem.

Looks like Applying the replaygain tags and then updating the library doesn't work, So i tried with a fresh library and all seems ok. (using mysql)

I also noticed that m4a tags aren't supported.

I read another post of yours that says the 89db can be overridden in advancedsettings, could you please give me some info on what to add to advancedsettings for that, I checked the wiki and couldn't find anything.

Thanks
Hi buges - glad the tagging is good for you - not sure why you had to refresh library as it's checked on song loading, but at least you're good.

The ReplayGain pre-amplify value (normal target is 89db) would only apply to Eden, not to nightlies yet. I'll add it into AudioEngine in the next day or two and post here with the as.xml tag to use to change that value.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
ReplayGain is now fully functional again and in master/nightlies. You'll see the new GUI settings in Settings>Music>Playback.

Changes are applied to the next track, so are not immediate. Be careful not use Pre-Amp settings too far from the default of 89dB unless you are really sure - those values are in decibels, so each 6dB doubles the volume, and excessive volume will cause clipping. You can enable avoid clipping to prevent this if your files are correctly scanned/tagged for peak values.

Enjoy!
Thank you DDDamian for Implementing the extra settings so fast!!

It's very much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi,
I use the final version of xbmc 12.2.
When applying replayGain Information I noticed some albums with very different volume.
When disableling ReplayGain their volume is nearly the same.
The gain values are generated by foobar 2k. In foobar the volume of the tracks seam to fit even with applying replayGain values.
Clipping avoidance is turned off.

Do you have any idea?
Deleting and readding an artist does not solve my problem.

It looks like Replay Gain is applied twice when it is enabled in xbmc and 1 time if it is disabled in xbmc.
Is it possible that the player behind xbmc applies ReplayGain independent of xbmc?
Though I realize a bit off topic, I'm starting to utilize music videos (*.mp4) which Foobar can tag with Replay Gain but I'm not sure xbmc recognizes Replay Gain for video. If this is correct, is there any way to do so? I already have the following advancedsettings.xml to recognize .mp4's as music
Code:
<musicextensions>
  <add>.avi|.mov|.mp4|.flv</add>
</musicextensions>
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't get replaygain working0