AAC 5.1 Audio
Hi All-

I have a number of video files that have AAC 5.1 audio which when played via XBMC on my ATV2 are outputted as Stereo which my receiver mixes to Dolby Pro Logic. AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS files play properly.
Info:
XBMC (Frodo beta) on ATV2 connected via HDMI cable to Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver, which then in turn connects to TV via HDMI.

Is there a setting I have to change to get the ATV2 to output the audio as either LPCM (so receiver can play as Multi-Channel) or transcode on the fly to AC3? Or does XBMC on the ATV not have this ability?

Current setup on ATV:
Dolby Digital: On
Audio Output: 16 Bits

XBMC Settings:
Audio Output: Optical/Coaxial
Speaker Setup: 5.1
Dolby Digital & DTS capable receiver checked

Thank you.
you can only passthrough aac. Neither lpcm nor transcoding is available on ios.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-12-02, 00:58)Memphiz Wrote: you can only passthrough aac. Neither lpcm nor transcoding is available on ios.

Thanks Memphiz
How can you passthrough AAC with Frodo RC1? I didn't see that option. I'm talking about Frodo on ATV2. In Eden, 5.1 AAC was seen as Dolby Digital 5.1 by my audio receiver on the optical input. In Frodo with the same settings, the signal is passed to the AVR as 2 channel. Is there any work around this? I've noticed that there are no extra settings (i.e. DTS-HD, Dolby-True HD, AAC passthrough) on the Audio settings page for the ATV version of Frodo RC1, compared to Eden.
Ahh iirc the ios audio engine dev removed aac support because of issues and the lack of demand.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Thanks Memphiz. So, is there any improvement that the new audio engine brings to the ios version of Frodo?
No - only gui sounds and volume control.
Lack of demand. Doubtful.

Might need to downgrade back to Eden.
I had to go back to Eden.
Looks like this new audio engine is a step back for the iOS version of xbmc.
(2013-03-15, 23:36)paul5 Wrote: I had to go back to Eden.
Looks like this new audio engine is a step back for the iOS version of xbmc.

Honestly, yes, this is true. It depends on usage, but over-all audio abilities have taken a step back in Frodo for iOS and Mac OS X.

AudioEngine itself is not bad, and is something that needed to happen. It's just been a rough transition, and it's a very specialized area of code that only a few of our devs fully understand.

So for certain situations, it,might indeed be best to stick with Eden for a bit longer. This is just one on of those growing pains (there was audio code left in from Xbox days, just to give you an idea of why we needed a new AudioEngine). Just know this: it will get better.

For my own use, Frodo is better for me. Runs like a champ on my ATV2, iPhone4, and runs amazingly fast on my iPad4. I don't use an audio receiver and most of my files have a secondary stereo track.
I'll be honest I decided to just stick with it. I prefer Frodo on the whole.

I've just decided to replace those files with DTS instead.
Just to clarify, did the latest version fix this?
no

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC 5.1 Audio0