Can you convert 1080p to 720p on the fly?
I recently installed crystalbuntu on my old atv1. This is my second xbmc and it mirrors all my movies and tv shows from my main htpc.

The problem is atv1 doesn't work with 1080p. Is there any option to convert on the fly to 720p? Some sort of decoder add on or something similar?

I know I can get crystal HD but if possible I hope to avoid that.

Thanks in advanced!
Thatkookooguy
You can use an entire computer to transcode to something the ATV1 can handle, or buy a $25 broadcom crystal HD card. I don't know why you would want to avoid that. I can't imagine using my ATV1s without BCHDs. It's even really easy now to add USB wifi, if you still need wifi.

EDIT: I should add, I LOVE my ATV1s with the BCHD card. They really give the ATV1 new life. I can't recommend them enough :D
I don't live in the USA and getting the component here will cost me as much as buying a new apple tv

Isn't there a way to watch on the fly movies in 1080p so xbmc will reduce the quality to 720p? Something like plex and plexbmc can do... But plex have some problems with certain audio tracks
(2013-04-29, 15:00)thatkookooguy Wrote: I don't live in the USA and getting the component here will cost me as much as buying a new apple tv

Isn't there a way to watch on the fly movies in 1080p so xbmc will reduce the quality to 720p? Something like plex and plexbmc can do... But plex have some problems with certain audio tracks

Where are you then? might help people suggest somthing? i found one on ebay for 16.99 shipped anywhere in europe.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
Thanks for the suggestion matt but I don't want mail / packaging help. I want an answer to the very specific question I asked. Im not trying to be a hardass or something... But at the worst case scenario I'll buy the crystal HD next time I'll visit the states. But still, solving this software wise is fun-ner and quicker for me since I'm a software guy. Also, it sounds to me like something someone have done already or that in the worse case scenario will be solved using plex if that's all I got. The only problem I got with plex is that sometimes it got a problem with alternative audio tracks in anime which I can live without on the atv1.

So... Any idea?
(2013-04-29, 20:16)thatkookooguy Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion matt but I don't want mail / packaging help.

That told me then.

TBH id rather pay £20 and get it sorted.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
XBMC does not transcode on the fly.

You have two choices: Trancode the files on your server to something your retarded limited hardware choice forces you into; or upgrade the retarded limited hardware for 16.99.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Perhaps some of the transcoding UPnP players that are marketed for PS3 and Xbox360 might be of use? XBMC should work with those just fine, and they should let you transcode on the fly.
Is it an option to install Plex on the box with all of the videos, and then use the Plex XBMC plugin on the ATV1? Plex does on-the-fly transcoding.
(2013-04-30, 15:50)msarro Wrote: Is it an option to install Plex on the box with all of the videos, and then use the Plex XBMC plugin on the ATV1? Plex does on-the-fly transcoding.
You'll need a grunty server to do the Plex transcoding and the power consumption will exceed $16.99 before long.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
To just answer the OP: the Apple TV does not have enough power to do on the fly transcoding. Also, there is no addon for that available.
Side note...id love this ability in xbmc for streaming and transcoding purposes...i have a pretty fast wired network but sometimes while streaming a 1080p film it needs time to buff...would be great if it could choose a lower the res on the fly like many other transcoders can do..there are a lot of open source transcoders out there...im just not sure what works with atv...probably the only one i know of is Vuze.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can you convert 1080p to 720p on the fly?0