Solved Anything above Gotham alpha 8 acts like I have a stuck key
I've been using XBMC since Frodo 12.0, & have switched to the Gotham alphas as soon as they were available, with very good results. However, when I updated to the Gotham 9 nightly build, it acts like I have a stuck key....the main menu scrolls past at a dizzying pace, with manic clicking sounds (default confluence skin). I am completely unable to get it to do anything...I still have cursor control, but am unable to click on anything. I've installed pretty much every one of the current nightlys, all with the same result, I've had to drop back to Gotham alpha 8 to correct this. I'm completely clueless on this, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
I made my own (linux) build that behaved like this. I had to configure with "--disable-joystick" to get it usable.
My guess was that something on my machine looked like a joystick (e.g. an accelerometer) and was constantly triggering.
Yes, that is a "feature" introduced into Gotham. There is a generic joystick keymap file and joysticks are enabled by default. If you have some game controller on your computer, Gotham will assume you intend to use it to control XBMC. What I do is install and run Gotham, exit, then search guisettings.xml for "enablejoystick" and change the setting from true to false. If you do need to use a controller input you can disable joystick.xml and setup a custom one that ignores the button that is sending presses to XBMC.

scott s.
Wink 
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin Hey thanks! Disabled joystick, worked like gangbusters!!! LOL, it never even entered my head that a joystick could be the problem, till you guys pointed it out...makes perfect sense. I have a force-feedback joystick (which I hardly ever use anymore...lol), & when it's not actually in use, it's generally flopped over to one side or the other. Thanks for the super fast replies!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
There is a GUI switch for it as well. XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Input devices
(2014-02-12, 02:05)Ned Scott Wrote: There is a GUI switch for it as well. XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Input devices

It's just hard to actually get to that when the GUI is going nuts with beeps or whatever. I don't know how the input queue is managed, but at least in Windows I have found that keyboard s-enter will reliably exit even when the joystick is causing crazy things. First time it happened I used Windows task manager to kill XBMC, before I found that I could still get keyboard presses recognized.

scott s.
Do we know what is causing the phantom input? If it's enough of a problem then I'm sure we can change the default setting.
In this case it was an actual joystick on its side...
(2014-02-13, 06:43)Kib Wrote: In this case it was an actual joystick on its side...

For everyone? Even Popcornmix?
No probably not. Sorry, not at my sharpest at 5:45 am
(2014-02-13, 07:27)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-02-13, 06:43)Kib Wrote: In this case it was an actual joystick on its side...

Popcornmix appeared to be not sure exactly of the cause, only that it was joystick related and that disabling joystick support worked.

Might be worth disabling the joystick support in Input Devices as default.
(2014-02-13, 07:27)Ned Scott Wrote:

I was using a Windows 7 PC with xbmc running on Ubuntu inside VirtualBox. I own no joysticks or anything that I could imagine being detected as a joystick.
I first hit this a few months back, but as this xbmc just runs headless to update the library it wasn't critical - I just edited guisettings/advancedsettings and avoided the GUI.

However a few weeks back I wanted to change some scraper settings that was more easily done in the GUI. A clean top-of-tree build still had this issue, and it went away with --disable-joystick.

Now, the commit to default joysticks to disabled on linux should have avoided the problem, but I guess because I ran before that commit when the default was enabled, that is currently considered my chosen option. Probably deleting guisettings will recreate it disabled.

Next time I rebuild that xbmc on that machine I'll enable joystick and see if the log has any clues about what it thought it found.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anything above Gotham alpha 8 acts like I have a stuck key0