-set to optical/coaxial
-set to 2 channels
-set to normalize audio that is downmixed
-set to do ac3 pass through
-set to do dts pass through
-analog audio output is default
-digital audio output is custom and set to default

audio chipset is a realtek alc850

My distro is ubuntu 10.04 and I have tried this under ubuntu 12.04 as well, both 32-bit since the 64-bit ones, the audio did not work at all.

Now since I have ac3 pass through selected, it's supposed to transcode any 5.1 aac audio to 5.1 ac3. But when it does that, there is no center channel. I know this because the voice is extremely quiet since I've tested this against some trailers with 5.1 aac sound. This has been around since the release of 10.0, 10.1, and 11.0.

How can I fix this?
start with a debug log

If you are on optical, you should not have the chance to change "any" speaker layout settings.

Ah! xbmc v11 :-) lol - that's not supported at all anymore and v11 cannot do transcoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
ok, you can close this. The wiring came loose on the centre speaker. I also upgraded to xbmc gotham beta 2, so everything works now.

I also had to add this to my advancedsettings.xml file:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audiooutput>
  <passthroughdevice>default</passthroughdevice>
</audiooutput>
</advancedsettings>

The reason why is because xbmc no longer allows me to select a custom audio device and I need that for the pass through audio device. Not sure why it was removed.

For some reason, the optical/coaxial output is on the same device as analog is for this audio chipset, default.

(2014-03-18, 10:32)fritsch Wrote: start with a debug log

If you are on optical, you should not have the chance to change "any" speaker layout settings.

Ah! xbmc v11 :-) lol - that's not supported at all anymore and v11 cannot do transcoding.

Actually it was added with the release of 10.0. It was enabled if you set it to optical/coaxial output with speakers at 2.0 and to send ac3 as pass through, as long as the audio of the source was already 5.1. But what it didn't do is upmixing, which is what gotham finally adds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no center channel while transcoding aac 5.1 to ac3 5.10