Can't play DV-AVI files
Question 
Just grabbing some video footage off my digital video camera to my PC. The best possible picture for playback is DV-AVI format.
I can play it on my PC fine with any media player but unfortunatly XBMC doesn't want to play them.

Is this format not supported by XBMC or something?
http://www.xbmc.xbox-scene.com/wiki/inde...eo_codecs:
DV-AVI is usualy uncompressed video within the avi, grab FFDShow and virtualdub and reencode it to a better format (xvid or something like that)
Yeh I tried VirtualDub but the quality came out worse. I wanted it the same quality but playable on the Xbox. I don't care about file size. I've give it another go though as I don't know what I am doing with some of the settings in that program.

Thanks for you help.

Thanks also SleepyP for the link. I had already looked at that part of the wiki before I posted. I opened the DV-AVI file in GSpot and it didn't come up with any codecs at all so looking at that page was useless to me.
Thanks to Bizzeh I realise why, it's uncompressed video.

So is the Xbox not capable of playing these uncompressed files or is it just no one has made XBMC compatible for it yet?

Thanks again.
-Spud- Wrote:So is the Xbox not capable of playing these uncompressed files or is it just no one has made XBMC compatible for it yet?
no one has made XBMC 'compatible' for it yet, read this => http://www.xbmc.xbox-scene.com/forum/sho...php?t=1660

Note! Understand that there are many hundreds of raw/uncompressed formats, almost every digital camera/video-camera manufacturer has it's own proprietary format, (they use their own format so they don't have to pay a royalty-fee). To be able to play back a specific proprietary format open source developers (such as MPlayer and FFmpeg) have to reverse-enginner the codec (or at least the decoder part).

Confused
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for the info Gamester17.

I admit I just presumed when I first tried it that if Windows Media Player could play DV-AVI then surely XBMC already had the tools to do it.

Thanks again
-Spud- Wrote:Thanks for the info Gamester17.

I admit I just presumed when I first tried it that if Windows Media Player could play DV-AVI then surely XBMC already had the tools to do it.

Thanks again

Yep, same problem here, XBMC play the sound of the movies, but the video is freezing.
And i can play my DV-AVI videos in Mplayer on my PC. Sad
Star 
I ended up converting all my DV-AVI files to DVD images files with NeroVision Express. Quality remained the same or good enough and they just sit on my PC hdd as .nrg files. They stream from my PC to the Xbox with XBMC fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't play DV-AVI files1