Low HEVC playback framerate
As my storage space is becoming limited, I'm starting to rip my movies using HEVC. I'm had good playback results so far but I'm seeing an odd framerate issue with my copy of Evil Dead. I converted an BluRay MKV using handbrake, using h.265, Profile:none, Quality 18. Same as other conversions and yet for some reason this particular movie has a TERRIBLE framerate. With debug enabled I watch it dive to around 8fps when there is any amount of movement or panning. Its obvious right from the beginning with the fog and titles. At first I thought it was an issue decoding Dolby TrueHD since my past rips were either plain AC3 5.1 or DTS-HD and all played back smooth. So I tried just using the original MKV. Played back like a champ in Kodi. Tried converting to normal H.264, played back fine except the file size was actually larger than the original file. So I figured maybe the issue is Handbrake converting the audio improperly and causing Kodi to software decode it. I use AC3 and DTS passthrough for my reciever. So I converted the file again without audio, then remuxed the 265 video with the source mkv audio. Normal playback on my desktop VLC as with all the others, but on my Kodi box it suffers frame rate drops. My desktop is a i7-3770K with GTX 980 but my Kodi machine is an i3-3225 and relying on integrated Intel 4000 graphics. Both are windows 10 and latest drivers. Is it possible for machine to play back HEVC just fine for one file and terribly for another when both are encoded with identical presets?
I use MediaCoder (http://www.mediacoderhq.com/) to transcode my library of purchased Blu-rays. Using NVENC, I end up with DVD-sized files (~4GB) that are close to the original Blu-ray quality (~24GB). NVENC is fast, transcoding via GPU at 6x playback speed. Compare that to 10 hours or so using a CPU-only encoding solution like Handbrake.

All of the above has nothing to do with Kodi, though, except that Kodi plays all the resultant files flawlessly.YMMV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low HEVC playback framerate0