Read-only file system
Hi Ronie,

I have run into a little trouble again. I followed the following tutorials to set the SD card in read only mode.

https://hallard.me/raspberry-pi-read-only/

Once, it is is read only mode, if i try to launch kodi. It gives me the following error message
"""
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.kodi (/home/pi/.kodi/temp/)
Error: Unable to create application. Exiting
Could't get a file descriptor referring to the console
"""
It looks like kodi needs to write some logs to launch. Is there any way I can make it write those logs to a different location (RAM)? or disable writing logs altogether so that it works when the SD card is in read only mode?

Thank you so much.
kxb3292
(2016-06-06, 04:55)kxb3292 Wrote: Hi Ronie,

I have run into a little trouble again. I followed the following tutorials to set the SD card in read only mode.

https://hallard.me/raspberry-pi-read-only/

Once, it is is read only mode, if i try to launch kodi. It gives me the following error message
"""
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.kodi (/home/pi/.kodi/temp/)
Error: Unable to create application. Exiting
Could't get a file descriptor referring to the console
"""
It looks like kodi needs to write some logs to launch. Is there any way I can make it write those logs to a different location (RAM)? or disable writing logs altogether so that it works when the SD card is in read only mode?

Thank you so much.
kxb3292

I highly doubt Kodi will work on any read only filesystem. Apart from it's own databases and logging, Kodi relies heavily on (image) caching.

From your link:

Quote:So if you’re running a database on your Pi, don’t use read-only filesystem.
CoreElec on a Tanix TX3 (s905x3). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
not really related to the screensaver addon ;-)

i'll split your post and move it to the right place for such questions.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
what Raytestrak said...

you can disable logging, through advancedsettings.xml:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#loglevel
though i don't think that will get rid of the error.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Why on earth would you want to make your file system read only?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
@ronie
Thank you. I have been able to minimize the logging using the advancedsettings.xml file.

@speedwell68
It seems that SD card corruption is a common and annoying issue. So I want to have a setup where there is absolutely no writing on the SD card
(2016-06-09, 15:18)kxb3292 Wrote: It seems that SD card corruption is a common and annoying issue.
It does?
Athlete's foot is a common and annoying issue, but I wouldn't chop my legs off to avoid getting it.
SD card corruption was an issue with older SD drivers and people that just switched off the power without shutting Kodi down. But if you are worried about SDcard corruption, how about booting from USB which AFAIK is also possible these days.
(2016-06-09, 15:18)kxb3292 Wrote: @speedwell68
It seems that SD card corruption is a common and annoying issue. So I want to have a setup where there is absolutely no writing on the SD card

I have been using many RPIs for years now and I have suffered SD card corruption once and that was a long time ago. I can't see Kodi working with a RO filesystem. I have had an SD card fail altogether, but that was due to the shear age of the card, they do have a finite life span. I would just finalise your setup and then create a disk image of it.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Read-only file system0