Warping (VHS-like) audio issue
I'm trying to narrow down the issue I'm having and would like to know if anyone else is having it with Kodi. If not, then perhaps I can eliminate Kodi from the potential source of the issue.

I have 2 very powerful Windows PCs on my network that run Kodi.
PC1 is i7 w/ 8gb ram Windows 7 running Kodi 16 stable
PC2 is i7 w/ 16gb ram Windows 10 running Kodi 17 alpha 3

The issue is the same on both. Periodically while playing content (library videos or live TV through a cable card), there will be a distortion in the audio that lasts for a few seconds. It sounds similar to when an old VHS tape is warped. It's like the audio slows and speeds up. It's most noticeable on voices or music wherein the tone goes low or high like it's speeding up or slowing down. Voices sound deeper or higher.

I first noticed it on PC1 and thought it might be related to the video card (Nvidia 650). But then it started to happen on PC2.
I also thought it might be an issue with my new router (Linksys EA9500 MAX-STREAM). I have alot of content stored on my NAS server. But the issue also occurs on content that is locally stored on the PC that is handling the playback through Kodi.

For good measure, I also tested playback of content through Plex both locally and outside of the home. The issue does not occur through Plex nor Amazon Fire Sticks w/ Kodi. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote:Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
For the sake of this post, getting dated without a response. Understanding that video and audio are encoded separately in containers and depending on how busy the chips are and priorities might suggest that something is slowing up the works (keyboard 'o' to check for bottle necks). I note that Kodi by default is utilizing hardware acceleration, while 'other' players use software rendering. With so many rendering options and control over sync, size etc.. I would be looking at tweaks in that area.

Using a player like VLC which is more or less the basis for the Kodi engine, you should be able to at minimum get this performance, but tweaks will get you to heaven.
Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warping (VHS-like) audio issue0