Android No audio output in Kodi v16.1
Just bought an OTT Set Top Box, Model number M8S Running Kodi v16.1 under Android 4.4.2. This application was working just fine out of the box. I was watching Breaking Bad Season 2 this morning then had to give the eyes a rest. I left the set top box powered on with the Kodi app running. When I returned to it the video would play but there was no audio output. I quickly noticed that in the upper right hand corner of the screen, just to the right of the current time there was (and still is) a speaker icon in red with a diagonal slash through it. This 'no audio' alert icon appears only in Kodi and all of the other apps on the set top box have normal audio output. I hadn't changed anything in the settings of the set top box or the Kodi app itself. I just left the box powered up while I ran some errands. Since then I have spent hours trying to resolve the issue. There are numerous articles and Youtube videos that seem to address this problem but they all involve changing the audio output device from within Kodi. Unfortunately this option is greyed out and set to: Android, Audiotrack.
About the only thing that I can think of that would cause this issue without any user input is that if while I was running errands the Kodi application underwent an update that is causing the audio problem.
I have searched high and low on the internet and these forums to no avail. If anyone can lend a hand with some suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Question 
[PROBLEM]: Just bought an OTT Set Top Box, Model number M8S Running Kodi v16.1 under Android 4.4.2. This application was working just fine out of the box. I was watching Breaking Bad Season 2 this morning then had to give the eyes a rest. I left the set top box powered on with the Kodi app running. When I returned to it the video would play but there was no audio output. I quickly noticed that in the upper right hand corner of the screen, just to the right of the current time there was (and still is) a speaker icon in red with a diagonal slash through it. This 'no audio' alert icon appears only in Kodi and all of the other apps on the set top box have normal audio output. I hadn't changed anything in the settings of the set top box or the Kodi app itself. I just left the box powered up while I ran some erran[/b]ds. Since then I have spent hours trying to resolve the issue. There are numerous articles and Youtube videos that seem to address this problem but they all involve changing the audio output device from within Kodi. Unfortunately this option is greyed out and set to: Android, Audiotrack.
About the only thing that I can think of that wdould cause this issue without any user input is that if while I was running errands the Kodi application underwent an update that is causing the audio problem.
I have searched high and low on the internet and these forums to no avail. If anyone can lend a hand with some suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

[SOLUTION]: I went to the flea market where I bought the box and spoke with the gentleman that sold it to me. The 'fix' was just as simple as it could be but it is totally undocumented. If you ever see the red speaker icon with a slash across it denoting that there is no audio output simply press CTRL +. In other words hold down the Control key and press the + (plus) key. This should make the red speaker icon disappear completely and restore the audio output. I hope that this little nugget will help someone in the future.

Thanks for reading.
You muted the sound, that's what the icon means.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's also so undocumented that you can find it here - keyboard controls (wiki).

You actually just need the + key, or alternatively either the = key (also volume up) or F8 (for mute/unmute).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio output in Kodi v16.10