Watching TV shows on portable hard drive.
I am trying to figure out how to watch tv shows on my portable hard drive to my fire tv.

I am quite new to KODI and figuring out exactly how or if KODI can help me with this issue.

I will try to make this short:

Goal:
I want to watch the tv shows downloaded on my portable hard drive and see it on my tv screen. (I cannot purchase these shows digitally via Amazon hence the download).

SETUP
I have a fire tv set up on a Sony Smart TV.

Methods and problems I have encountered thus far:
-I cannot plug in the portable hard drive to the Sony TV as it does not read all the shows (Yes I can manually convert all of the tv shows to a format that the sony tv reads, but that is very time consuming and not a step I want to take yet)
-I cannot plug in the portable hard drive into the Amazon Fire TV as it does not read the files.
-I have downloaded PLEX, which seems to work for the most part, however the computer I am using as a media server is quite slow and has issues connecting to PLEX at times, I also get numerous errors that my internet connection is too slow to stream the media. ( I promise, I do have fast internet and feel that is not the real issue.)

QUESTION
Can KODI help me with this problem?
Is there a way to download these programs to KODI, so all I have to do is login to KODI on my Fire TV and my media is there?
Should I be looking for other solutions to this problem?
What is the easiest way?
Does anyone know where I can purchase to stream these tv shows that Amazon does not have: Profiler, Pretender, The Crow:Stairway to Heaven, Earth: Final Conflict, etc.

If any questions for me or if something doesn't make sense please let me know, any help is gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
(2017-04-15, 08:37)tobs86 Wrote: -I cannot plug in the portable hard drive into the Amazon Fire TV as it does not read the files.

I dont have a fire tv, but this link says otherwise.

Quote:As for other uses of USB storage, Amazon explicitly states that “you cannot access any media that you side-loaded onto the USB device.” The good news is that Amazon is not going out of their way to block apps from accessing USB external storage. Apps like Kodi and VLC can play media stored on an attached external drive without any issues. Files stored on a USB drive attached to the Fire TV can be found under the directory: /storage/extUsb/
If kodi on your firetv cannot access the files on your usb drive, then an option is to put the drive into your pc and share the files via smb. Point kodi to the shared files.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Watching TV shows on portable hard drive.0