Kodi not playing in 3D - changes to 2D
Using Kodi 17.3 on Nvidia Shield

This only happens to a few of my 3D videos and I think it only affects movies that are top-and-bottom 3D.
I cannot play the movie in 3D. it doesnt matter what video playback mode I choose in Kodi it always appears as 2D, The kodi menu is doubled like it should be, but the video is full screen so when I change my tv to 3D it obviously doesnt display right.

On my pc which still has Kodi 16.1 the video plays just fine.

Any ideas?

As long as you have two images side by side or over and under, it is the TV's duty to combine them into one stereoscopic image.

What exactly do you mean by it doesn't play right ? What are the aspect ratios of the videos that play right and those that don't ?
(2017-08-06, 05:16)papachanjo Wrote: As long as you have two images side by side or over and under, it is the TV's duty to combine them into one stereoscopic image.

What exactly do you mean by it doesn't play right ? What are the aspect ratios of the videos that play right and those that don't ?

Yup your right, as long as I have two images. Im only getting one image tho as shown in the picture. The menu is doubled but the video image is displayed as full screen.

In the older Kodi version it is showing correctly as two images.

This is the info from VLC, maybe it will help: (not sure how to find the media info on kodi)
found this older post with your exact problem

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2268769

Go into video settings -> acceleration -> disable both "media codec (surface)"and media codec.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2271156
K thx, I'll check that tomorrow.

That still doesn't explain it tho. if that's true then why does it play correctly (as half OU) on the older Kodi and on VLC? It has two video images. Kodi 17.3 on my Shield for some reason is converting it to 2D.

(2017-08-06, 07:25)SeVreN2013 Wrote: Maybe that Smurfs 3D is MVC (Multi View Count) which is Full 3D and not Half OU

Download Mediainfo : https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

and if it shows something like this ... then it's MVC. (unsure if that's the problem, but use mediainfo to check your other 3D vid's that play ok .. and compare)

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
MultiView_Count : 2
MultiView_Layout : Side by Side (left eye first)

Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID :V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2 min 2 s
Bit rate : 12.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.241
Stream size : 174 MiB (73%)
Title : 3D Half-SBS (x264 [email protected] 2-pass 12000 Kbps preset veryslow)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2597 e86f3a1
nah ... ignore that, check my edited post above hopefully, that's the solution Smile
(2017-08-06, 07:33)SeVreN2013 Wrote: nah ... ignore that, check my edited post above hopefully, that's the solution Smile

Thanks that worked!
For some strange reason, the shield "de-3D" sbs/tab files on its own when using acceleration.
It has been reported to nvidia numerous time with no action.
This issue seems to have been fixed with the last big nVidia Shield update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not playing in 3D - changes to 2D0