v17 Just Got NVIDIA SHIELD TV - Newb Questions
(2018-01-08, 07:41)Sakamuyo Wrote: Using my drives this way, do I need to have the "Using USB" setting on or off?  That's an NVIDIA SHIELD/Android-specific question that may not be answerable here.

You have to turn it off. By turning it on it reserves that USB port as a connection to a PC. It actually tells you when you turn it on, " This port will no longer detectstorage Media or USB Accessories..etc"
 I'd assumed that as well, but the SHIELD plays files from it regardless of the setting.  I also tried the backup both ways (to see if the setting was prohibiting the SHIELD from writing to it).  Ultimately it didn't make a difference, but as you indicated, logically it makes sense to keep it off.
SHIELD plays files from it regardless of the setting?

Your wrong. It will not play the file if it is turn on .,for it will not connect to your drive.  It seems you like making statements without actually verifying them. Trust me you got that thing turned off.. . .  Stop messing with the NFO files...there is no need for that... your making simple things complicated .  . .  just return the shield. . .  , if you can't figure out how to use it.. stick to your old player.   goodbye
Nvidia Shield TV - Reading and Writing to USB hard drives that are formatted NTFS...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-enabled-/
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303475

ES File Explorer is CRAP, don't use it. Also check this thread regarding USB drives on the Nvidia Shield...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-windows-/

Specifically this post by Tinwarble...

"Also you can not write to the root of external storage. This is a Android limitation and requires an app ask for permission. Since the Shield uses the Plex Media Server and it does not ask for permission you can't write to the root of your drive.
If you are going to map the drive you need to use: shield_ip_address\your_drive\NVIDIA_SHIELD
Other than the apps own folder on the drive (i.e. \your_drive\Android\data\com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb\) you only have full permission to the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.

And as stated, stop using ES File Explorer. Not only is it bloatware, it's crapware, and because it does not properly implement the Storage Access Framework it will cause your external drives to become unmounted. If you need a file explorer for the Shield, use either X-Plore or Total Commander."

I do believe I read that you cannot connect a USB hub to a Shield TV, and then connect multiple HDD to it, and have everything work correctly in the Shield TV. So you are limited to just 2 external HDD connected directly to the Shield TV (this may have been fixed by now, I'm not really sure).
(2018-01-07, 22:46)120inna55 Wrote: In other news...

My reason for wanting to edit the nfo files was to be able to have different versions of the same movie.  I just discovered that, while in Kodi, if I long-press the file that I want to put a qualifier on, I can select MANAGE-->EDIT TITLE, and it works.  When I connect the drive, the database points to the correct corresponding file and plays it just fine.  It can't be that simple, or someone would have pointed this out before.  I am skeptical, though.  Since it was so easy (no exporting, no editing nfos, no trickery or sorcery), I wonder if there's a drawback to doing it this way.  So, hit me.  What problem is this going to cause? 
Because you are coming from another application that makes it's own NFO files, you should start fresh, and grab a Media Manager to use with Kodi. I prefer MediaElch (http://www.kvibes.de/en/mediaelch/download/). This will not only create correct NFO files for your Movies ant TV shows, but will also download all the artwork as well (make sure all your Movies are in separate folders, and TV Shows are TVShow\Season 1, etc.) MediaElch also lets you create multiple Movie files (you simply name them differently, for example - Star Wars Laser Disc, Star Wars BluRay, Star Wars IMAX, etc).

For more info on MediaElch, check the forum here...
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136333
(2018-01-08, 19:04)Powerhouse Wrote:
(2018-01-07, 22:46)120inna55 Wrote: In other news...

My reason for wanting to edit the nfo files was to be able to have different versions of the same movie.  I just discovered that, while in Kodi, if I long-press the file that I want to put a qualifier on, I can select MANAGE-->EDIT TITLE, and it works.  When I connect the drive, the database points to the correct corresponding file and plays it just fine.  It can't be that simple, or someone would have pointed this out before.  I am skeptical, though.  Since it was so easy (no exporting, no editing nfos, no trickery or sorcery), I wonder if there's a drawback to doing it this way.  So, hit me.  What problem is this going to cause? 
Because you are coming from another application that makes it's own NFO files, you should start fresh, and grab a Media Manager to use with Kodi. I prefer MediaElch (http://www.kvibes.de/en/mediaelch/download/). This will not only create correct NFO files for your Movies ant TV shows, but will also download all the artwork as well (make sure all your Movies are in separate folders, and TV Shows are TVShow\Season 1, etc.) MediaElch also lets you create multiple Movie files (you simply name them differently, for example - Star Wars Laser Disc, Star Wars BluRay, Star Wars IMAX, etc).

For more info on MediaElch, check the forum here...
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136333 
Thanks for the useful information.  I remember looking at MediaElch a good while back.  Since I've figured out how to simply rename the Title within Kodi, is the advantage of using MediaElch the fact that I have nfo files locally?  I'm not sure how I use it with Kodi, but I'm sure reading up on it will clear that up. For instance, I don't know if I install MediaElch to reside on each of the drives, just a local PC, on the SHIELD, etc. I'm assuming I just install it on a local PC with the drive(s) connected and point MediaElch at the files on the drives (in the correct architecture, of course). At which point, I can connect the drive(s) to the SHIELD and Kodi will interpret them correctly without having to scrape.  Am I even close?  Hehehe.
(2018-01-08, 17:30)Sakamuyo Wrote: SHIELD plays files from it regardless of the setting?

Your wrong. It will not play the file if it is turn on .,for it will not connect to your drive.  It seems you like making statements without actually verifying them. Trust me you got that thing turned off.. . .  Stop messing with the NFO files...there is no need for that... your making simple things complicated .  . .  just return the shield. . .  , if you can't figure out how to use it.. stick to your old player.   goodbye
 Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.  I did, in fact, try it both ways.  I just took this rather crude video to show you what I'm talking about.  Am I missing something?  The file I'm playing only resides on the attached 4TB USB portable drive.  The file played flawlessly with the USB setting on or off.  Here's the video showing it both ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=why518V4DxE

This is now the second time someone has suggested I go back to my "old player".  I don't particularly want to do that.  I really like the Kodi interface.  Earlier, I simply expressed how perplexing it is that the "old player" in many ways out-performed this brand new one, at least on a hardware level.  But again, the old player has a pittifully crude and dated interface.  My "complaints" actually have nothing to do with Kodi, specifically.  The limitations thus far are Android related, but I'm getting around them.

I may be missing something in the text without hearing inflection, but your statement, "...if you can't figure out how to use it.. stick to your old player. goodbye..." sounds awfully hostile.  The reason I'm here is because I'm trying to figure it out and I've received very useful information and assistance thus far.  Earlier, I did certainly express my frustration with the fact that Kodi can't write to an NTFS drive.  That, again, is apparently an Android limitation.  I'm not the only one who's frustrated with such a blatant oversight.

So, I'll reiterate my previous question, since Kodi (by a limitation of Android) can't write to my NTFS drive, is there another way I can back up my Kodi database.  I understand I won't necessarily be able to modify it, but backing it up would be a good idea nonetheless.

Again, I appreciate the assistance I've received thus far and I do sincerely apologize if I ever came off as attacking or insulting anyone here.  I am truly grateful for your patience with a newb.
(2018-01-09, 04:55)120inna55 Wrote: So, I'll reiterate my previous question, since Kodi (by a limitation of Android) can't write to my NTFS drive, is there another way I can back up my Kodi database.  I understand I won't necessarily be able to modify it, but backing it up would be a good idea nonetheless.

Which is wrong. Kodi can write to your external drive (NTFS, FAT, FAT32 or otherwise) but as I have stated, and @Powerhouse quoted, it can only write to specific folders. If you want Kodi to be able to write to the drive move your data to the the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.

This folder is created when you plug in your drive into the Shield and is specifically to give you full permissions to your drive. You CAN NOT write to the root or any folder in the root of the drive, it HAS to be in the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder. Doing that only takes a couple of seconds because all you are doing is changing the path.

If you want to use Kodi on the Shield then this is how you have to use it and you have to follow the "Android way" of doing things.

Also, as already stated, get rid of ES File Explorer. If you are going to use external drives it is only going to cause you issues.

(2018-01-08, 18:56)Powerhouse Wrote: I do believe I read that you cannot connect a USB hub to a Shield TV, and then connect multiple HDD to it, and have everything work correctly in the Shield TV. So you are limited to just 2 external HDD connected directly to the Shield TV (this may have been fixed by now, I'm not really sure).

There are users that have reported success with using powered hubs and multiple USB drives. However, this is a piss poor way of doing things since the Shield is not really designed to do that and it's always best to use a NAS rather than relying on multiple drives connected to the Shield.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-09, 19:39)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2018-01-09, 04:55)120inna55 Wrote: So, I'll reiterate my previous question, since Kodi (by a limitation of Android) can't write to my NTFS drive, is there another way I can back up my Kodi database.  I understand I won't necessarily be able to modify it, but backing it up would be a good idea nonetheless.

Which is wrong. Kodi can write to your external drive (NTFS, FAT, FAT32 or otherwise) but as I have stated, and @Powerhouse quoted, it can only write to specific folders. If you want Kodi to be able to write to the drive move your data to the the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.

This folder is created when you plug in your drive into the Shield and is specifically to give you full permissions to your drive. You CAN NOT write to the root or any folder in the root of the drive, it HAS to be in the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder. Doing that only takes a couple of seconds because all you are doing is changing the path.

If you want to use Kodi on the Shield then this is how you have to use it and you have to follow the "Android way" of doing things.

Also, as already stated, get rid of ES File Explorer. If you are going to use external drives it is only going to cause you issues.

(2018-01-08, 18:56)Powerhouse Wrote: I do believe I read that you cannot connect a USB hub to a Shield TV, and then connect multiple HDD to it, and have everything work correctly in the Shield TV. So you are limited to just 2 external HDD connected directly to the Shield TV (this may have been fixed by now, I'm not really sure).

There are users that have reported success with using powered hubs and multiple USB drives. However, this is a piss poor way of doing things since the Shield is not really designed to do that and it's always best to use a NAS rather than relying on multiple drives connected to the Shield. 
 Thank you for the information about putting things into the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.  I hadn't really understood that part.  I suppose all the title alterations I've done thus far will be lost as Kodi will rebuild the database.  By the way, I'm not using ES File explorer.  I see it was one of the previous recommendations, but I didn't pursue it.  It looks too clunky, but I'm not slighting anyone that's using it.
(2018-01-10, 00:48)120inna55 Wrote:  Thank you for the information about putting things into the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.  I hadn't really understood that part.  I suppose all the title alterations I've done thus far will be lost as Kodi will rebuild the database.  By the way, I'm not using ES File explorer.  I see it was one of the previous recommendations, but I didn't pursue it.  It looks too clunky, but I'm not slighting anyone that's using it. 

The point about ES File Explorer was not about using it. Even if you don't use it, it will still cause issues with your external drives. The point is, if you have it installed, uninstall it. If you need a file explore use X-Plore.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just Got NVIDIA SHIELD TV - Newb Questions0