Kodi 17.6 on QNAP 453mini, passthrough audio drops out
Hi all,

I have Kodi 17.6 running on a QNAP 453mini. The 453 on its own does not have an optical out, or a way for me to get 5.1 to my audio amp. In order to get videos to play with 5.1 surround audio to my audio receiver I checked the QNAP compatibility list and bought a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 Pro which is connected via USB. I then connect an optical cable from the USB device to my amp. I am getting audio dropout when I use Passthrough and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

The 453mini has the latest firmware. The X-Fi Pro also seems to be the latest firmware, but hasn't been updated in a while.

Imagine someone pressing the mute button every half second, so that the audio comes in and out regularly. Sometimes it is stable for a period of time, and then for a minute or so it starts dropping out again. Then it goes back to being stable for a while. If I rewind the video I am playing to see if that video section is the problem, the audio is actually fine. It is at random times, and never over the same section of video.

It isn't a connection or fibre optic cable issue as I have tried two others, and still the same issue.

I have read about video refresh rates being an problem, so I will post my settings below. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

In Preferences>Player Settings>Videos...
  • Adjust Display Refresh Rate is set to Always
  • Sync Playback to Display is disabled
In Preferences>System Settings>Audio...
  • Audio Output Device is set to SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, S/PDIF
  • Output Configuration is set to Optimized
  • Stereo Upmix is Disabled
  • Resample Quality is set to Medium (doesn't seem to make any difference if set to Low or High)
  • Limit Sampling Rate is set to 48KHz (makes no difference if set as low as 44.1 or as high as 192)
  • Send Low Volume Noise is enabled
  • Allow Passthrough is Enabled (disabling gives only stereo output, which does NOT drop out)
  • Passthrough Output Device is set to SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, S/PDIF
  • Dolby Digital AC3 Capable Receiver is Enabled
  • Enable Dolby Digital AC3 Transcoding is Enabled (only some files are AC3, so Enabled to catch those ones)
  • DTS capable receiver is Enabled (also makes no difference is Disabled)
I have tried different optical cables, different USB ports for the X-Fi 5.1, a different Optical In on the audio receiver. None of these changes improve the situation.

What other settings should I be looking at for this to work without dropout?
Never mind.

I set the Passthrough to HDMI, so that the signal is passed on to my Samsung TV. I then set the Samsung TV sound output of it's optical out to Digital, and the audio plays fine now.

I have encountered a few files that, although tagged as 5.1, don't pass through any audio. I have to disable passthrough, and listen in stereo instead. Despite the audio track being 5.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.6 on QNAP 453mini, passthrough audio drops out0