Upgrade from Kodi 18.7 to 18.8 on Raspberrian Buster
Question 
Hello,

I've tried my best to search for an answer before posting this, but I've been unsuccessful.

I have a Pi 4 with Kodi 18.7 installed.

When I check the Kodi website for Raspberry download, it says the latest version is 18.8.

When I do
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Kodi doesn't get updated.  Why?
"Raspberrian Buster"... That must be a new version Big Grin

Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) does its own compiling of Kodi, and they are usually just a little behind on our own schedule.
So it's not the answer you're hoping for, but a bit more patience is probably all you need to have at the moment.
(2020-10-09, 05:39)Klojum Wrote: "Raspberrian Buster"... That must be a new version Big Grin

Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) does its own compiling of Kodi, and they are usually just a little behind on our own schedule.
So it's not the answer you're hoping for, but a bit more patience is probably all you need to have at the moment.

Buster.  You obviously knew what I meant, lol Smile

Ok, thanks for the response.  All good, although patience is not one of my strong suites Tongue
This might be slightly off topic, but it's definitely related.

I installed Kodi myself on Buster (as it was know when I set it up).

When I do apt update, there is no update for Kodi, even though I know there is a newer version (18.8 vs 18.7 that I have).  I always assumed that apt update checks for the latest version of kodi on some sort of kodi reportitory or something (yes, I'm a noob), but is the way it actually works is by checking with Rapberry OS?  And they control the version?  The thing that made me question this is what you said earlier about Rapberry OS being a bit behind.

Appreciate any clarification anyone can provide.
You could also try installing LibreELEC instead, if you only need to run Kodi.
(2020-10-12, 05:08)Klojum Wrote: You could also try installing LibreELEC instead, if you only need to run Kodi.

Thank you, but I use my pi for a few other things, so this isn't an option for me Sad
(2020-10-12, 04:57)Yabbie442 Wrote: I always assumed that apt update checks for the latest version of kodi on some sort of kodi reportitory or something (yes, I'm a noob), but is the way it actually works is by checking with Rapberry OS?  And they control the version?  The thing that made me question this is what you said earlier about Rapberry OS being a bit behind.

TLDR: We are waiting for Kodi 18.8 tailored for the Raspberry Pi to be released to the Raspberry Pi OS repo.

I'm also pretty new at linux, hence a non-technical explanation...

When you do the "sudo apt update" it checks the repositories which your computer has been told to check.  Initially these are the ones supplied and maintained by/for Raspberry Pi OS - but you can manually add others and/or some can be added by new software you install.  My desktop PC running Ubuntu currently Gets 34 repos.

The Kodi project (http://kodi.tv) write and test their program code on a variety of computer hardware (including intel-based PCs, Macs, and ARM computers) and OSes (including Windows, MacOS, and linux) ... but they can't test on every combination. 

So ... after Kodi released 18.8, some member of the Raspberry Pi OS team (probably also a volunteer) will take Kodi's code and compile it specifically for the ARM processor and Raspberry Pi OS.  There may be variations required for the different ARM processors, video and other hardware used in different RasPi models; and for different versions of Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. 

When the Raspberry Pi OS team is satisfied that it will work on all the various supported Raspberry Pi versions, they add it to the Raspberry Pi repo - and apt will update it automagically for you.

If you don't want to wait (and yes, it has been quite a long wait), you can obtain the source code from Kodi and compile it yourself.  But that's a learning curve I don't personally feel up to ;-)
(2020-10-27, 02:32)donburch888 Wrote:
(2020-10-12, 04:57)Yabbie442 Wrote: I always assumed that apt update checks for the latest version of kodi on some sort of kodi reportitory or something (yes, I'm a noob), but is the way it actually works is by checking with Rapberry OS?  And they control the version?  The thing that made me question this is what you said earlier about Rapberry OS being a bit behind.

TLDR: We are waiting for Kodi 18.8 tailored for the Raspberry Pi to be released to the Raspberry Pi OS repo.

I'm also pretty new at linux, hence a non-technical explanation...

When you do the "sudo apt update" it checks the repositories which your computer has been told to check.  Initially these are the ones supplied and maintained by/for Raspberry Pi OS - but you can manually add others and/or some can be added by new software you install.  My desktop PC running Ubuntu currently Gets 34 repos.

The Kodi project (http://kodi.tv) write and test their program code on a variety of computer hardware (including intel-based PCs, Macs, and ARM computers) and OSes (including Windows, MacOS, and linux) ... but they can't test on every combination. 

So ... after Kodi released 18.8, some member of the Raspberry Pi OS team (probably also a volunteer) will take Kodi's code and compile it specifically for the ARM processor and Raspberry Pi OS.  There may be variations required for the different ARM processors, video and other hardware used in different RasPi models; and for different versions of Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. 

When the Raspberry Pi OS team is satisfied that it will work on all the various supported Raspberry Pi versions, they add it to the Raspberry Pi repo - and apt will update it automagically for you.

If you don't want to wait (and yes, it has been quite a long wait), you can obtain the source code from Kodi and compile it yourself.  But that's a learning curve I don't personally feel up to ;-)
TLDR;  Thanks for the good explanation.

I very much appreciate the volunteers that make Kodi (and Raspberry Pi OS) what it is.  So I sincerly ask this with the greatest of respect:  Is there an eta on 18.8 on the Pi?

I'm also not up to compiling myself, and even then, it wouldn't be optimised for the Pi.
(2020-10-27, 02:51)Yabbie442 Wrote: Is there an eta on 18.8 on the Pi?

Is there something in 18.8 that you absolutely need that isn't in 18.7? If not, just stick with 18.7.

You will still need to ask that question to the Raspberry Pi devs, not us.
And since Kodi 18.9 is out now, maybe they'll simply skip 18.8, who knows.

LibreELEC 9.2.6 with Kodi 18.9 is being tested internally at the moment.
(2020-10-27, 10:32)mcelliott Wrote:

Is there something in 18.8 that you absolutely need that isn't in 18.7? If not, just stick with 18.7.

TBH I was hoping it might fix the playback issues I'm having :|
(2020-10-27, 11:01)Klojum Wrote:

You will still need to ask that question to the Raspberry Pi devs, not us.
And since Kodi 18.9 is out now, maybe they'll simply skip 18.8, who knows.

LibreELEC 9.2.6 with Kodi 18.9 is being tested internally at the moment.
Yep, I understand now (the circle of life a bit better).
Hope they do go straight to 18.9.
I'd use LibreELEC, but I use my Pi for other stuff too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade from Kodi 18.7 to 18.8 on Raspberrian Buster0