Stream my audio library to a smartphone worldwide
Good morning,

I used to have my audio library (~70GB) stored in Google Play Music. I could stream it to several smart phones through the Google Play Music App wherever I was located (in particular: not just at home). Access was comfortable (genre, artist, create playlists, etc.). That has worked fine over the past years. Now Google Play Music will discontinue (I can move my files to Youtube music but there are now ads).
Therefore I would like to create my own streaming solution.
Building up a DLNA music server in my home network is even supported by my router (Fritz!Box 7590) and pretty simple. The challenge is to access it from anywhere, not just at home. So I was told that setting up a small router on a Raspberry Pi could be a solution.

Some thoughts/needs:
1. Will that work at all? And how difficult is it to set it up? (I have set up some Raspberry Pi's in the past but I'm not a Linux expert)
2. Will I be able to reach the raspberry Pi at all when accessing from outside (I don't have a static IP)?
3. Which App to use on the smartphone and does it come with all comfort functions like genre, album, playlists?

Maybe I'm on a wrong path and there are completly different approaches. Actually the requirement does not sound that challenging, others before me must have already had the same question.

Thank you in advance.
Pontanegra
What does this have to do with Kodi?
Hello.

I was told Kodi could be a solution to the request above. So it is not? Any ideas where else to find a solution?

Thank you in advance.
(2020-10-18, 16:40)pontanegra Wrote: Hello.

I was told Kodi could be a solution to the request above. So it is not? Any ideas where else to find a solution?

Thank you in advance.
You could setup a Plex server for this, and access your music via the Composite Kodi addon.
(2020-10-16, 06:24)pontanegra Wrote: Good morning,

I used to have my audio library (~70GB) stored in Google Play Music. I could stream it to several smart phones through the Google Play Music App wherever I was located (in particular: not just at home). Access was comfortable (genre, artist, create playlists, etc.). That has worked fine over the past years. Now Google Play Music will discontinue (I can move my files to Youtube music but there are now ads).
Therefore I would like to create my own streaming solution.
Building up a DLNA music server in my home network is even supported by my router (Fritz!Box 7590) and pretty simple. The challenge is to access it from anywhere, not just at home. So I was told that setting up a small router on a Raspberry Pi could be a solution.

Some thoughts/needs:
1. Will that work at all? And how difficult is it to set it up? (I have set up some Raspberry Pi's in the past but I'm not a Linux expert)
2. Will I be able to reach the raspberry Pi at all when accessing from outside (I don't have a static IP)?
3. Which App to use on the smartphone and does it come with all comfort functions like genre, album, playlists?

Maybe I'm on a wrong path and there are completly different approaches. Actually the requirement does not sound that challenging, others before me must have already had the same question.

Thank you in advance.
Pontanegra
This is more a networking question than kodi, but I'll make a suggestion anyway and risk the wrath of mods:
Does your FritzBox router have the capability to be a VPN Server?  you could (should) connect to your home network (and therefore your NAS/music library) from anywhere via VPN.
After that, it's a simple matter of pointing your (mobile) music player at your music library on your home network.  An IPv6 connection for your home network will streamline connecting. 
Wireguard would be ideal:
https://golb.hplar.ch/2019/01/expose-server-vpn.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream my audio library to a smartphone worldwide0