how to conf parser to ignore year (or 5 first characters) in movie folder name?
I like to keep my movie library sorted by adding year in every movies folder, along its audio track quality. for example:

"2020 The Gentlemen TrueHD"

metadata parser doesent seem to have any difficulties with words "DTS", "TrueHD" etc, but year in front of title prevents parser to recognize any movie/series. is it possible to configure parser to ignore that? i,e ignore first number or 5 first characters?
There are movie titles and TV series names with just year numbers or they start with them: 1883, 1984, 2001 & 2012 come to mind. How is a scraper supposed to differentiate them from your own sorting method?

In Kodi you can simply sort movies on the year via the scraped metadata in the database, the filenames themselves do not need to contain that year number. Scrapers simply do not expect movies or tv series to start with a year number.

Why not use separate year number folders, and leave out the year from the video filenames?
Like: "/movies/2020/The Gentlemen TrueHD.mkv"
(2022-07-16, 14:35)Klojum Wrote: There are movie titles and TV series names with just year numbers or they start with them: 1883, 1984, 2001 & 2012 come to mind. How is a scraper supposed to differentiate them from your own sorting method?

In Kodi you can simply sort movies on the year via the scraped metadata in the database, the filenames themselves do not need to contain that year number. Scrapers simply do not expect movies or tv series to start with a year number.

Why not use separate year number folders, and leave out the year from the video filenames?
Like: "/movies/2020/The Gentlemen TrueHD.mkv"
that is exactly what I do. I never touch filenames of actual mkv files, the year is only in folder name. And im not talking about sorting in kodi database. I mean I use year in front of folder name to sort my own "physical" (NAS) movie folder collection. and because of that folder name, parser wont recognized any movie...which is weird IMHO, since parser shouldnt care about actual folder name at all, because parser should parse movie name from file name, not folder name.

perhaps I have some setting incorrect? can I tell parser to parse from filename instead of foldername?
(2022-07-16, 15:22)Calathia Wrote: I use year in front of folder name
That won't work with Kodi. The scanner searches the title of the folder name and ignores everything to the right of the (year). Because you have placed the year at the start, then everything is ignored.

(2022-07-16, 15:22)Calathia Wrote: which is weird IMHO, since parser shouldnt care about actual folder name at all, because parser should parse movie name from file name, not folder name.
Wrong.
If your file names are correctly named, then disable the setting "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" in the Set Content screen and this will read file names. Of course there are consequences to doing that, so read about it here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Set_Content
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-07-16, 21:17)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-07-16, 15:22)Calathia Wrote: I use year in front of folder name
That won't work with Kodi. The scanner searches the title of the folder name and ignores everything to the right of the (year). Because you have placed the year at the start, then everything is ignored.
(2022-07-16, 15:22)Calathia Wrote: which is weird IMHO, since parser shouldnt care about actual folder name at all, because parser should parse movie name from file name, not folder name.
Wrong.
If your file names are correctly named, then disable the setting "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" in the Set Content screen and this will read file names. Of course there are consequences to doing that, so read about it here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Set_Content

gotta say, I do ponder the logic...why would anyone care what name is the folder? its the filename that counts. 
also, coding parser to ignore anything past year name sound like the ABC of cheapest noob coding mistakes. as kodi has literally billion absolutely smart features (an thus, smart coding decisions), am I missing something logical here?

has there been any discussion amongst devs to improve this parser behavior? like :

parse by ignoring anything after year
if none, then
parse by ignoring 4 number string
if none, then
parse by whole folder name
if none, then
panic
(2022-07-17, 10:52)Calathia Wrote: also, coding parser to ignore anything past year name sound like the ABC of cheapest noob coding mistakes.

Anyone claiming that there are cheap noob coding mistakes should offer the coding solution as well IMO. Right now you are really the only one out of thousands of Kodi users on this forum (and more worldwide I assume) that perseveres in putting a year number in front of a film title in a filename, and expects others to follow your way of thinking... Well, try searching "2020 The Gentlemen" in the TheMovieDB.org's website. It doesn't find your movie either. Remove the year from the search field and voila, the movie is found. It's listed as a 2019 movie, btw.

I probably read your opening post a bit too fast and thought that "2020 The Gentlemen TrueHD" was also the video filename. As the folder name is of no consequence by default when scraping in Kodi, what is the actual video's filename in that folder? Is it identical to the folder name?
(2022-07-17, 10:52)Calathia Wrote: why would anyone care what name is the folder? its the filename that counts. 
Geez, whats the issue?? Disable the setting and voila, it reads filenames.
I don't know why you are making such a fuss and rant about nothing.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to conf parser to ignore year (or 5 first characters) in movie folder name?0