tvOS How to have video source's description in Polish while retaining English title?
Exactly what settings on Video source must be set, in order to have:
  • All titles in English (either scrapped or taken from filenames since all my filenames are in English)
  • Description in Polish (if available)
  • Poster's language doesn't matter

So far I've been setting:
  • Keep Original Title: true
  • Preferred Language: pl-PL
  • Search Language: pl-PL

Screenshot:

But I am still getting English descriptions. Both on lists:

And in an item details:

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
I have:
Restarted Kodi many times and the TV box as well
Triggered library refresh many times from both Kodi TV interface and through web interface.
I am using:
Kodi 20.2 (20.2.0)

Git: 20230629-5f418d0b12

Compiled: 2023-06-29

I have Settings in Advanced mode and I have enabled every logging-related option except for debug logging (because it brings no information except for memory and CPU). But logs show no entry. The latest entry comes from the list of sources scanned recently (I have enabled scanning my entire library upon Kodi startup).
For some weird reason, simply changing language in source setting and then forcing this source to be re-scrapped again does not forces Kodi to actually change the already scrapped description's language.

Deleting entire source + clearing its entries from database + adding this source again + adding its entries to database (scrapping this source) is the only way to actually change the language.

Weird, but true. Problem solved, but for me it clearly sounds like a bug or design flaw. Changing language + re-scrapping definitely should be all that user must do.
(2023-08-02, 14:40)trejder Wrote:
  • All titles in English (either scrapped or taken from filenames since all my filenames are in English)
If all your files are named in English, then your Search Language should be English, not Polish.

(2023-08-02, 14:40)trejder Wrote: Exactly what settings on Video source must be set, in order to have:
  • Description in Polish (if available)
  • Poster's language doesn't matter
You really can't.
The scrapers have not been designed for "mix-n-match" language option.
If you want Polish, you get Polish (if it is available). If you want English, you get all English.

You will need to use nfo files for that. Maybe one of the media managers.
Or simply change the Title in Kodi in Context Menu>Manage>Change title.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-08-02, 21:33)Karellen Wrote: If all your files are named in English, then your Search Language should be English, not Polish.
OK, so Search Language must match language in which filenames are given. Thanks, good to know.
(2023-08-02, 21:33)Karellen Wrote: You really can't.
The scrapers have not been designed for "mix-n-match" language option.
If you want Polish, you get Polish (if it is available). If you want English, you get all English.
Which parameter controls what is language is used in video descriptions? Is it Preferred Language?

I have set Preferred Language = Polish and then Keep Original Title = True and I have exactly what I wanted to have. English title and Polish description.
(2023-08-02, 22:38)trejder Wrote: Which parameter controls what is language is used in video descriptions? Is it Preferred Language?
Yes

(2023-08-02, 22:38)trejder Wrote: I have set Preferred Language = Polish and then Keep Original Title = True and I have exactly what I wanted to have. English title and Polish description.
That will work, but not in all cases. Remember the Original Title is not always English. It is the language from the originating country of the movie.
So if you the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, for example, the Original Title will be Wo hu cang long or 卧虎藏龍 depending on which scraper you use.
If you have the tv show Money Heist, the Original Language will be La Casa Del Papal.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-08-02, 22:46)Karellen Wrote: That will work, but not in all cases. Remember the Original Title is not always English. It is the language from the originating country of the movie.
So you have cleared another myth in my mind! Smile I was more than sure that Keep Original Title refers to using a title from my filename, not from scraper.

So, turning Keep Original Title to False and setting Preferred Language to en-US will assure that all titles will be in English (and descriptions in the same time as well). Am I correct?

What will happen, if I order Kodi to Keep Original Title, but set language to non-English (i.e. my native Polish)? Which title scraper will use in this case? English one?

(2023-08-02, 22:46)Karellen Wrote: That will work, but not in all cases. Remember the Original Title is not always English. It is the language from the originating country of the movie.
So if you the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, for example, the Original Title will be Wo hu cang long or 卧虎藏龍 depending on which scraper you use.
If you have the tv show Money Heist, the Original Language will be La Casa Del Papal.

It is a funny thing that you have came with this title, because that was another thing, I was about to ask.

As you can see in the opening question, I am currently using The Movie Database Python scrapper. It fails completely for some reason, because for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon it displays neither Wo hu cang long nor 卧虎藏龍. It displays empty square boxes for some reason failing on UTF-8 completely. For a couple other movie which titles uses non-Latin alphabet (i.e. all three Ong Bak movies) I see squares as well.

Which scrapper or language should I use to have Wo hu cang long instead (and the same, correct transliteration for all other non-Latin characters)?
(2023-08-02, 23:50)trejder Wrote:
So you have cleared another myth in my mind! Smile I was more than sure that Keep Original Title refers to using a title from my filename, not from scraper.

So, turning Keep Original Title to False and setting Preferred Language to en-US will assure that all titles will be in English (and descriptions in the same time as well). Am I correct?

What will happen, if I order Kodi to Keep Original Title, but set language to non-English (i.e. my native Polish)? Which title scraper will use in this case? English one?

It is a funny thing that you have came with this title, because that was another thing, I was about to ask.

As you can see in the opening question, I am currently using The Movie Database Python scrapper. It fails completely for some reason, because for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon it displays neither Wo hu cang long nor 卧虎藏龍. It displays empty square boxes for some reason failing on UTF-8 completely. For a couple other movie which titles uses non-Latin alphabet (i.e. all three Ong Bak movies) I see squares as well.

Which scrapper or language should I use to have Wo hu cang long instead (and the same, correct transliteration for all other non-Latin characters)?

To see the non-Latin characters, you need to change the font settings.  I think it requires the Arial-based font option.  So just try that and they should show up fine.
(2023-08-02, 23:53)NeoCortex Wrote: To see the non-Latin characters, you need to change the font settings.  I think it requires the Arial-based font option.  So just try that and they should show up fine.
Changing font to Arial solves the problem only partially. 

Not only it works for UTF-8 only (and fails completely for UTF-16 and UTF-32 meaning that titles in languages like Hindi or Thai):

But (as you can see in the bottom), even for characters in UTF-8 it is very hard do read, search and find anything.

Is there any workaround for this? Is there any scrapper that does transliteration to Latin?

If not, is there any font that supports UTF-16 and UTF-32? And how to install it (there is no "Get more" button in the font selection dialog).
(2023-08-02, 23:50)trejder Wrote: So, turning Keep Original Title to False and setting Preferred Language to en-US will assure that all titles will be in English (and descriptions in the same time as well). Am I correct?
Correct.
As long as the English translation is available at the scraper site.
Remember Kodi relies on other sites for information. So if there is a problem, you first need to check the scraper site to see if the information is there.

(2023-08-02, 23:50)trejder Wrote: What will happen, if I order Kodi to Keep Original Title, but set language to non-English (i.e. my native Polish)? Which title scraper will use in this case? English one?
The language settings have no effect on Original Title. There is only one original title, not a selection of translations.

(2023-08-02, 23:50)trejder Wrote: It displays empty square boxes for some reason failing on UTF-8 completely.
That is not a scraper problem. @NeoCortex is correct. Change your font setting to use a different font that has those glyphs available... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Interface/Skin#Fonts

(2023-08-02, 23:50)trejder Wrote: Which scrapper or language should I use to have Wo hu cang long instead
It's not that simple. You would have to check the scraper site to see which is being used.
But in this case Wo hu cang long came from IMDB and the non-latin version came from TMDB. But it may not always be like that for other movies.
Its why you need to make TMDB your best friend and check what is there.
My Signature
Problems listed together:

1. I can't find any IMDB scrapper, neither in local nor in repository. Does it have any name?
2. TMDB sound like a best choice, but it returns titles using original wording (non-transliterated) which is completely useless for me (I cannot enter Chinese characters to search, I am unable to read them).
3. I using default skin and I have only default skin font or Arial font. Neither of them supports UTF-16 or UTF-32 titles (Hindi, Thai) returned from TMDB. And I can't find "Get more" button around fonts.

How can I get a readable movie titles? By "readable" I mean either transliterated to Latin (which scrapper to use) or displayed correctly (which font to use and how to install it in Kodi)?

Thank you.
(2023-08-03, 01:42)trejder Wrote: 1. I can't find any IMDB scrapper, neither in local nor in repository. Does it have any name?
It is called Universal Movie Scraper, but I think it is having problems and the developer has not been around since Christmas. I would recommend not using it.

(2023-08-03, 01:42)trejder Wrote: 2. TMDB sound like a best choice, but it returns titles using original wording (non-transliterated) which is completely useless for me (I cannot enter Chinese characters to search, I am unable to read them).
This is one of those cases where I think you would be better off using a Media Manager.
It can scrape your movies and tv shows in a separate program. Once it is scraped, a box pops up with all the data. You can then change whatever you need.
Media Managers are listed in the forum in the Supplementary Tools section.
Or see here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Supplemental_tool...y_managers

(2023-08-03, 01:42)trejder Wrote: 3. I using default skin and I have only default skin font or Arial font. Neither of them supports UTF-16 or UTF-32 titles (Hindi, Thai) returned from TMDB. And I can't find "Get more" button around fonts.
There are no Get more buttons for fonts. You will need to source your own font and add it.
Maybe @scott967 can be of more help

scott967 Wrote: 
My Signature
Thank you for your support and help.

To conclude this topic, I must say that I have right now a complete language mixture of a content available in my Kodi:
  • Some titles are in English, some are in Polish, some are in other (original?) languages
  • Some descriptions are in English and some in Polish (probably due to not the same languages set on source)
  • I have a complete mixture in Genres section, having half or more of them doubled and each split into English name and Polish counterpart (i.e. "Romance" and "Romans"; "Drama" and "Dramat").
I would really, really like to clean this mess up and have absolutely everything in English. Is this possible?

If yes, then exactly what settings should I set on each of the source?

Is it:
  • Source scraper: The Movie DB
  • Preferred language: English
  • Search language: English
  • Keep Original Title: False
Or is there some other combination of above settings? Or something else should be set to some value? Thanks!
(2023-08-10, 13:51)trejder Wrote:
  • Source scraper: The Movie DB
  • Preferred language: English
  • Search language: English
  • Keep Original Title: False
Or is there some other combination of above settings? Or something else should be set to some value? Thanks!
Yes, the above settings will give you English. Make sure you are using TheMovieDB Python.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to have video source's description in Polish while retaining English title?0