Kodi movie playing video at half speed, audio full speed
This was previously brought up in an old thread, but didn't have a solution: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=114635&page=3
I am not sure where the problem is, and I'm hoping someone might help me determine where the issue is.

I've watched several movies on 4k Chromecast w/ Kodi & Jellyfin streaming, and it works great so far. Today I tried watching Jurassic Park, and it's running at half speed with audio at full speed.
The movie is a 1080p movie. 

On my computer that hosts Jellyfin, I can watch directly through Jellyfin or directly through Kodi and they both play fine. It's only when it's on the Chromecast/Jellyfin for Kodi where it can't play. I can play 4k movies on it, but this particular one isn't working.

Any ideas what the issue is? Is Jellyfin the issue? Or Chromecast? Or Kodi?
seems you posted in the wrong subforum. Which platform are you running?
(2024-02-24, 01:12)caleb87 Wrote: Any ideas what the issue is? Is Jellyfin the issue? Or Chromecast? Or Kodi?

Fill in the blanks

1. is it Direct Playing or Transcoding to Chromecast?
1a. if it is Direct Playing then the only thing is bandwidth on the Jellyfin server, is there enough network bandwidth?
1b. if is it Transcoding then you need to have setup Transcoding on the server, have you set this up?

2. There are several Chromecast versions, which one is it?

3. Can Kodi play the file without the involvement of Jellyfin?

4. What is the audio/video encoding? 1080p is just a resolution and can be encoded with h264/AVC,h265/HEVC and as well there are various levels of those encodings
4a. Audio can cause issues as well so what audio is it?
4b. Graphic based subtitles can also cause issues, PGS f.e. because it requires processing power that the chromecast doesn't have to overlay a graphic based sub

-----

the best solution here is to simplify, play the file directly in Kodi without jellyfin involved and provide a Debug Log then most the questions above would already be answered
Now I have two movies that have different issues.

1) Jurassic Park - Half speed video, full speed audio
2) Titanic - Colors are wildly bright, screen goes completely green, to completely pink, blue, etc
** dozens of movies play fine, at 1080p or 4k, large files too like The Lord of the Rings (150gb)

To answer your questions:
-Direct playing. Jellyfin transcoding is set to None. Perhaps I should change this, but I'll have to learn all the settings
-Don't think it's bandwidth. It's local network, and dozens of other movies play fine. It's wifi 6 with a hub right next to the chromecast.
-It's the newest Chromecast 4k: https://www.amazon.com/Google-Nest-GA019...r=8-3&th=1

-Kodi on my windows desktop plays both movies without any issues. I'm not able to test it on the Chromecast. It's possible that Kodi on Chromecast w/ a local file would still play it incorrectly. I'll have to figure out a way to get the file onto the chromecast to test it.
Encodings are:
Titanic - 4K HEVC HDR, Surround 7.1 TRUEHD
Jurassic Park - 1080p VC1 SDR - Surround 7.1 DTS-HD MA
okay those are easy answers

(2024-02-26, 01:35)caleb87 Wrote: I'm not able to test it on the Chromecast.

just over the network without jellyfin would be fine https://kodi.wiki/view/SMB

(2024-02-26, 01:35)caleb87 Wrote: Jurassic Park - 1080p VC1 SDR - Surround 7.1 DTS-HD MA

Chromecast like most modern devices do not have a VC1 hardware decoder and just like Chromecast it plays like shit on almost everything i have tried in the last 4-5 years, nothing to do with chromecast or kodi or jellyfin
recommend re-encode this to h264 or h265, potentially you could set up hardware transcoding on jellyfin then in the jellyfin for kodi settings turn on force transcode VC1 but honestly it's just better to re-encode

(2024-02-26, 01:35)caleb87 Wrote: Kodi on my windows desktop plays both movies without any issues

your windows PC either has an appropriate VC1 hardware decoder (80% possible) or it is just better at software decoding because it's a more powerful CPU

(2024-02-26, 01:35)caleb87 Wrote: Titanic - 4K HEVC HDR, Surround 7.1 TRUEHD

this one i have no idea, usually that sort of wild color variation is when playing Dolby Vision on a non-DV device
Thanks for your help. I think I'll do what you suggest and use Handbrake to convert it to h264 or something. I'll confirm once I've tested. I'll also try the SMB. 

Probably doesn't help any, but I tried plex and both movies worked on the chromecast. I tried to get transcoding working on jellyfin, but I couldn't. I enabled it, but it's not working yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi movie playing video at half speed, audio full speed0