Best practice to handle new films
Hello!

I have problems with "double film entries" in my kodi environment:
I have mounted 2 Film shares on my Kodi-PC:

U:\video (where my already seen films are stored)
U:\temp (where new & unseen films are stored until I see them and decide if keep or delete it)

All new video files get scarped first with tinymm. Films that I like get moved from U:\temp to U:\video, the other ones got deleted. I move them with Windows Explorer from one share to the other. But now Kodi shows me two entries: the original in U:\temp which doesn't exist anymore and the new one in U:\video

That is my way how to determine which films are new and which ones are in my film storage. But what is the best practice for this? I mean: if I mount a new share, ALL films are unseen, even the ones on U:\video that I have seen many times....
Oh, sorry! I saw that this question should be posted in "OS independent / Other".
Could someone please move it there? THANK YOU!!
If you've scraped them in whilst they're in the temp folder and then manually deleted the files, they will stay there until you clean the library or try to play them (at which point you will get the option to delete from the library).

Basically the normal mode of operation is that files will be kept, so once scraped into the library they will stay until further notice.

There are some details on the wiki on this topic - Updating or removing videos (wiki), but to clean the library just go to settings > media settings > library > clean library (you need either advanced or expert level on the settings view to see it).

And yes, I can and have moved it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2024-04-07, 14:18)redwing1978 Wrote: That is my way how to determine which films are new and which ones are in my film storage. But what is the best practice for this? I mean: if I mount a new share, ALL films are unseen, even the ones on U:\video that I have seen many times....
You could use library node editor, favorites, smart playlists... a combination through which you could create a view where unseen movies from a specific directory are shown but unseen movies from a different directory are not.

Links you might wanna explore:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlists/GUI_Method
https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_nodes (bear in mind there's an addon to edit video nodes using Kodi's GUI)

I'm not sure about which approach would be more functional for your needs, but I'm confident that by experimenting a little you should be able to achieve what you want. Good luck!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
The files have different paths in U:\Video and U:\Temp therefore are considered distinct.

Kodi allows the creation of sources with multiple paths (use the Add button in Edit Source), but not sure if that would help in your situation.

A surefire way would come from the OS, so that it looks to Kodi like all videos are in the same folder (create a virtual drive letter or virtual directory that's a union of both your directories, and use that as the Kodi source).
I don't know how to do this with Window, I'd look at Windows support channels for this.
In the linux world it would be a union or overlay fs iirc.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-04-07, 14:20)redwing1978 Wrote: Oh, sorry! I saw that this question should be posted in "OS independent / Other".
Could someone please move it there? THANK YOU!!
Do let me know if you try to follow my suggestion with Smart Playlists and/or custom nodes. I was in a bit of a hurry before, but I'd gladly help in achieving your desired outcome. :-)
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best practice to handle new films0