Feature Request - Don't hide media shelves when video is playing
Hi @nonJon

I'd like to request an additional option to prevent media shelves hiding when video is playing. The rationale for this is to provide a consistent menu screen regardless of whether video is playing.

I have added support for this for myself in this commit that you are welcome to cherry-pick.

This feature is functioning as intended. Its purpose is to a) reduce clutter for users that don't value posters above the home menu and b) to not obscure home screen art and/or now playing video. Your rationale for changing the way this feature works is unpersuasive. Win some... lose some. Wink
No worries, I understand. For me this was a WAF issue. Having the behaviour change depending on playing state was confusing. Anyone is welcome to use the changes in my commit if they want the ability to turn this functionality on.
(2024-07-29, 05:07)natevoci Wrote: Having the behaviour change depending on playing state was confusing.

Now you're confusing me. With this feature enabled, media shelves are invisible until browsed, irrespective of background playback. Let me know if you can demonstrate otherwise with v5.21.1 from the official kodi repo.
Using 5.21.1 from the official kodi repo, if I set a channel playing using a recent channel in the media shelf, then hit tab or backspace to re-show the home screen, the media shelf with recent channels is no longer visible

I know I can hit the up key to make them appear and move to them, but the confusion comes because other's don't know this and it's not intuitive to them.

If I hit x to stop playback the media shelf becomes visible again straight away. I don't have to press up.

The only options I have changed from defaults are
  • Customised home menus to hide things I'm not using
  • Hide 3D icons, Hide HD icons, Hide TV logos all On
  • Show watched content icons: On
  • Show unwatched/progress icons: On
I'm not able to reproduce this. Sorry but I can't fix what I cannot break.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature Request - Don't hide media shelves when video is playing0