Connect Kodi To MythTV Backend Over Internet
Hi All,

I have a MythTV back-end & Kodi front-ends running successfully at home. Kodi installations are on Linux, Android and multiple Raspberry Pis and they all have access to the MythTV back-end server and they all are working flawlessly from within Kodi.

I have recently moved my business into an offsite factory and have setup another Kodi installation on a Raspberry Pi4 and I have successfully connected to my home server via the Kodi SFTP add-on and I have access to all my movies and it is working well.

I am now trying to connect the remote Raspberry Pi4 to my MythTV server at home and I am having no success.

I have opened up ports 6543 & 6544 in my home router and I have within the Kodi MythTV Add On Configuration form entered my home IP address as the server address and I am having no luck when I attempt to view TV. All I get is a message within Kodi stating "PVR Manager is starting up" and it goes no further.

Is what I am trying to do possible, and if so, what am I missing.

Thanks.

Paul
Yes, it's possible. Check out this thread. https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=3919

Though personally, I would set up a VPN between your Pi's, as that would be the safest way. It's never a good idea to open up ports on your internal network, especially for applications that I suspect haven't been thoroughly hardened for Internet access, as this is not the normal use for MythTV.
Thanks bac522,

I have in my attempts already found that post. I have done everything as detailed in it. I have opened ports 3306, 6543 & 6544 but no success.

When attempting to connect to my mysal server using "mysql -u mythtv -h 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' -p" I get this response:

ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 2

I have also run the 2 command line commands in the post directly on my server, being the mysql & curl commands, and each correctly returned the name of my server and only the 1 entry was returned.

I have VPN capabilities ready to implement once I can get this working.

Thanks for your assistance. It is very much appreciated but still no joy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connect Kodi To MythTV Backend Over Internet0