100% CPU usage
Hi all, tried XBMC for the first time today. I'm running it on a diskless Intel G45 mobo with Ubuntu 8.10 that's normally just a VDR frontend. Compiled form cvs and everything went fine but when I start it up it's using 100% CPU at ~4fps and GPU says "Software Rasterizer". Opengl works on it with other apps, glxgears gives me 400fps. And my configure output says:

------------------------
XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
Debugging: Yes
Profiling: No
OpenGL: Yes
Joystick: Yes
XRandR: Yes
PCRE Support: Yes
ccache: No
prefix: /usr/local
------------------------

Problem is, I don't know how to get any debug info so I don't know why xbmc doesn't use opengl. Is it a problem that I run it on intel G45? I compiled the xserver-intel driver from git to get HDMI-audio running, which it does just fine. How do I do that in xbmc?
aplay -l says:
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]
so I would like to use alsa:0.3 as audio output.
Thanks for any help. This seems like a nice project so I would really like to try it out.
/Magnus H
Have you tried booting the LiveCD to see if it works any more smoothly? Seems like it ought to run fine on that chipset.... Other than the CPU usage how is the response of the UI? Playback of video okay?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
The live cd is base on ubuntu 8.04 and doesn't have g45 support. Pastebin the debug log in /var/tmp (make sure to enable debugging in settings > system) and give a read to the other 0293840239 100% cpu threads.

EDIT: Yes the leading zero is significant Wink
Thanks for replying, especially about the location of the log-file. First I got errors in the log about VSYNC so I disabled it without making any difference. When I start up xbmc it says 3-4fps and the scrolling text is VERY slow. Video playback is about 0.5 fps.... Shouldn't the GPU info say something different than "Software Rasterizer" if openGL worked? I've read other posts but the all seem nvidia/amd related.

http://pastebin.com/m197ff6ce
I also has a G45 based motherboard (asus p5q-em) with ubuntu 8.10 that has this problem. According to system monitor it uses 100% of one of the two cores on the E8400 cpu as soon as I start xbmc and the interface response slowly and its takes forever to start a movie.
I have tried upgrading the graphical drivers to intels latest version and played with killing
pulsaudio and changing swaptime in advanced.xml but nothing seems to help.

Would be nice to find a solution to this so I can restart my htpc project....
I have a G43 chipset, latest intel drivers, fresh gentoo install and i do have the same problems. One cpu @ 100%.
glxgears works fine, but inside xbmc i use a software rasterizer according to xbmc. I do not experience these problems in windows. Is the problem here related to the graphic card? Would this problem be solved with a nvidia 9600gt?
In windows (on the same machine) i do not experience this problem.
GPU in windows is Intel Eaglelake... Opengl vendor intel instead of mesa... is there a solution?
sike420 Wrote:I have a G43 chipset, latest intel drivers, fresh gentoo install and i do have the same problems. One cpu @ 100%.
glxgears works fine, but inside xbmc i use a software rasterizer according to xbmc. I do not experience these problems in windows. Is the problem here related to the graphic card? Would this problem be solved with a nvidia 9600gt?
In windows (on the same machine) i do not experience this problem.
GPU in windows is Intel Eaglelake... Opengl vendor intel instead of mesa... is there a solution?

Fixed it with a second hand GeForce 8800GT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
100% CPU usage0