Problem with playback of MKV (1080P) on XP 64
So, I just built a brand new PC.

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
MSI X58 Platinum Motherboard
GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB Fanless Video Card
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Triple Channel Memory
(8) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB ST31000340AS SATA-II 32MB Cache Hard Drives
3ware 9650SE-8LPML PCI Express SATA II Controller Card RAID

So to say this PC is a beast and should be able to take anything I can throw at it, goes without saying.

I installed Win XP 64 because
1.) I hate Vista
2.) I want to be able to use all 6 GB of memory for apps like Adobe Photoshop CS 4 (64 bit).

I have 2 outputs on the video card. One goes via DVI to my arm mounted Dell 24" LCD (1920x1080). The other goes via HDMI to my arm mounted 50" Panasonic Plasma (1920x1080).

My first issue came up when I installed the ATI video driver that came on the CD. I used that to get the HDMI sound driver installed. Then I installed the latest 64 bit driver from ATI. Right away, Catlyst would crash when I started up. So I uninstalled these drivers and stayed with the original CD drivers.. They don't crash, but I can't get into Catylyst either. I will be wiping the HD in a few weeks and reinstall XP. Hopefully that will fix that.

My second issue came with installing my codecs. I am a big fan of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. I installed that and the 64 bit codec patch on top of it. Right away, I saw that my MKV movies were stuttering and the sound was unsynched from the video. I tried playing them in my both Media Player Classic and Media Player Classic Theater (which would use the GPU). One of my friends recommended getting CoreAVC and disabling DirectShow. That fixed everything. All movies then played great.

Now I installed the latest build of XBMC Atlantis. Everytime I try to watch a MKV (1080P) movie, I will see the first 5 seconds of the movie, then nothing but blackness. Does XBMC use DirectShow or does it use my CoreAVC codec? How can I make it use the correct codec or fix this issue?
No codecs - Second thing to read (GPU, Codec, ATI Hack, Beta Software)

And you'll need the most up-to-date video drivers.

Try one of the latest Third-Party builds found in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with playback of MKV (1080P) on XP 640