Ogg Star Ratings Support
Hello!

I've been looking into ways to utilize the Smart Playlists feature (instead of building a handful of static playlists by hand, naturally) and it keeps coming back to one key point: Star ratings. I want the entire library on file in case I feel like listening to Album X by Artist Y, but when company's over I'd like to tell XBMC to simply pick a bunch of songs in Genre Z above, say, 3 stars (4 and 5 star songs, then).

I read the hell out of the FAQs and forums and learned that what I need to do is grab MediaMonkey and do some ratings, since that's a damned sight easier to work with than tagging within XBMC. (No fault of the program, since that's not really what it's built for, mind you!) Here's the catch:

MP3s tagged with ratings by MediaMonkey are read in by the library update just fine. Unfortunately, everything in my media library which I ripped myself is in Ogg Vorbis format... which MediaMonkey tags just fine, and XBMC reads everything else that MediaMonkey does to Ogg Vorbis files... but it doesn't read the ratings info.

MediaMonkey creates a "RATING" comment tag on what looks to be a 0-100 scale. One star is 20, two is 40, and so on. So, my request is that XBMC be taught (some day in the reasonable, but not too far off future) to recognize that tag much like it does with the similar ID3 tag for MP3 files.

Thank you for your time!
Add a ticket to trac, attach an example ogg (or even better, 5 examples, one for each star rating). Just small clips are fine.

If there's evidence you can find that something other than MediaMonkey supports this tag format it'll be helpful as well - we prefer to use established standards if possible.

If you want to give it a go yourself, check out VorbisTag.cpp - should be reasonably easy to read the RATING tag in and convert to the '0' -> '5' range we want (can't remember if it's stored as a char or an integer).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Jonathan,

I did the Trac thing (copy-pasta and all) here, and I'll see about coming up with those samples to attach. Thanks for the tip there!

I'm nobody's idea of a gifted programmer but I'd be willing to take a look-see. What would be the correlating file for importing the rating tags for MP3 files for comparison?

Thanks for your time,

- Karel

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ogg Star Ratings Support0