Does XBMC contain a GUI for Linux?
If so, how do you launch it from the command line? Just wondering because I'm not very skilled in Linux and I'm having a difficult time in setting up XBMC. I thought that if I could access the GUI it might make things a little easier for me.
Are you using minimal install or the full ubuntu install?
Not sure. It was the all in one XBMC Live 9.11 pack.
Everything you need access to should be accessible via the XBMC interface. What is it you are trying to do?
no its the program xbmc and terminal, no desktop, no start menu, no internet brower. thats why I installed Ubuntu Desktop then xbmc as this isn't just a dedicated xbmc computer for me I need web access, email access etc etc.

-=Jason=-
The whole point of xbmc live is its more a set top box solution boots straight into xbmc

If you have computer needs then you should install Ubuntu and then xbmc linux not xbmc live

Didn't live format over your Ubuntu install ?

I'm assuming your using two user names very confusing if you are Stare
in commandline write xbmc
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

>>X<<' Wrote:I'm assuming your using two user names very confusing if you are Stare

Me and Flomaster are not the same person.

Flomaster Wrote:no its the program xbmc and terminal, no desktop, no start menu, no internet brower. thats why I installed Ubuntu Desktop then xbmc as this isn't just a dedicated xbmc computer for me I need web access, email access etc etc.

-=Jason=-

That sounds like a good solution. Using that set up, is it possible to set it up to where XBMC boots up automatically like it does with the XBMC Live installation? I would still like Linux to be mostly invisible, just with the option to go into it if neccessary.
JasonR Wrote:Me and Flomaster are not the same person.

That sounds like a good solution. Using that set up, is it possible to set it up to where XBMC boots up automatically like it does with the XBMC Live installation? I would still like Linux to be mostly invisible, just with the option to go into it if neccessary.

yeah you can set XBMC to load on startup and then you can minimize it or close it to access your desktop

-=Jason=-
Cool. I might have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
I Use XBMC live, and also browse the web via firefox from the gnome desktop as well.
As I understand it the live version is basically a minimal linux install, with a few extra bits.
Just exit XBMC and at the prompt type startx this starts the Gnome desktop.
I also have openvpn installed and a few other things.
You may want to install the Synaptic Package Manager as it makes installing progs easier. But be careful I've already bricked it once by installing something that replaced a few things that XBMC needed. The package manager will tell you what needs upgrading, or replacing and you can decide if its worth it.
I may be going for a full Ubuntu install, as I need to set up a PPTP VPN connection and can't seem to do it at the moment.
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
Incorrect.
<EDIT>
The post above this is indeed correct Smile. I was refering to the posts higher up. Be careful with gnome though.
Install ff without gnome:
Quote:sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install firefox adobe-flashplugin
</EDIT>

Exit xbmc. Login.
Type: startx

this will start fluxbox which is included.
xterm is also included.

You can add more stuff but be careful with gnome since it will break usb auto mount.

add lightweight file explorer, web browser and editor (enough to post debug log e.g.)
Quote:sudo apt-get install nedit arora rox-filer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC contain a GUI for Linux?0