[WINDOWS] Recommended Harware for New XBMC HTPC
jdawg0528 Wrote:almost forgot for the gt210, is there a specific brand that's better than the others? would a gt220 be okay too?

A gt220 is actually better. I consider it to be the best HTPC card in existence. Most brands are ok.

As far as CPU, from my vast testing (I have way too many comps) I have determined that you need a 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo or better to play EVERYTHING.

That is equivalent to like a 2.4GHZ i3 (or less, hard to even buy ones that slow), or a 3.2GHZ Athlon x2. Either way is fine really.

I am a big fan of Gigabyte mobos. I used to buy a lot of different brands, but not anymore. I only buy theirs now, so I suggest that as well.

Any other questions, please ask. I live for this stuff...

is it true that the gt210 and 220 don't support HD audio bitstreaming? i've been reading a little bit about how to get that to work with xbmc. to be honest i'm not sure if that's a big deal. i suppose this is a little bit off topic from my original post but it will influence what i do for a video card. so does anyone have any feedback on whether being able to bitstream the HD audio from bluray rips is a "must". or do most of you feel that LPCM is fine and dandy.
You are right that the g2xx series cannot bit stream HD audio. Linux can't with any hardware out there.

But honestly I don't think that is a big deal. Uncompressed audio is uncompressed audio, LPCM should not sound different than DTS HD or Dolby True HD.

Personally when I rip my Blu Rays I rip them to mkv files with multichannel FLAC. This takes us MUCH less space than a m2ts file with DTS HD, and plays perfectly on my XBMC Live box....

With your suggestion of SSD, is read speed more important than write speed?
Im looking at 2 different SSD's after failing miserably to getting XBMC Live installed on compact flash>ide adapters. both were detected in bios as fixed IDE drives, but the live installer couldnt install the GRUB boot loader whether i used software raid or just trying to use a single card. They are a pair of brand new PQI 4gb 233X cards.

Pricing diff is negligable, but i can get 180MB/s Read, 50MB write, or 125MB Read, 70MB write.

Kingston 30G SSD V-Series SATA2
Internet Price: $103.00 (faster read)

OCZ 32G Onyx SSD SATAII 2.5
Internet Price: $89.00 (faster write)

I would assume that read speeds would lead to snappier menus, being faster to read the thumbnails etc.
Random reads are the most important. My recommendation? The drive I personally use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227393

poofyhairguy Wrote:You are right that the g2xx series cannot bit stream HD audio. Linux can't with any hardware out there.

But honestly I don't think that is a big deal. Uncompressed audio is uncompressed audio, LPCM should not sound different than DTS HD or Dolby True HD.

Personally when I rip my Blu Rays I rip them to mkv files with multichannel FLAC. This takes us MUCH less space than a m2ts file with DTS HD, and plays perfectly on my XBMC Live box....

Can u tell me, wich converter video u use? From a dvd to a mkv, how much is the diferrence saved?
Plataform: AMD FX-8120 | ATI Radeon HD7800 | 16Gb Corsair
| 500Gb Samsung + 320Gb + 1,5Tb | Windows 7 Professional 64Bits | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium| Creative Inspire T6160 5.1
| XBMC mit Night | Philips 220SW + AOC M2752V:sniffle:
poofyhairguy Wrote:True, but with Silverlight you lose that advantage (and more and more streaming sites use silverlight). Plus I have my skepticism about GPU accelerated Flash- in my experience it still needs more CPU than XBMC needs to play a mkv with GPU acceleration. Adobe is a company filled with poor programmers.

Oh. I didn't know that. I haven't run into any webpage that require silverlight except Microsofts own page. But I don't live in US so I haven't tested those other pages you talking about. GPU accelerated Flash may require more CPU then other programs yes, but if it's enough with a Atom 330, why waste money on something that doesn't going to make any difference? (Except for Silverlight then)
Do you have some example of Silverlight pages?
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Recommended Harware for New XBMC HTPC0