Video Playlist with no type
Hi all,

my problem is very simple. I have a set of video files that can not be categorized by any of the content types XBMC offers. Those videos are not movies or TV shows or music videos, just a bunch of short family videos.

When creating the video source for it is no problem to assign no content type. XBMC just lists the files and I can play each one of them by just scrolling to it and pressing Enter.

However, I cannot create a playlist that plays all of them in random sequence. It seems that a playlist always must be of type Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows or Mixed.

How can I create a random playlist for a folder containing just generic video files?

Best regards,
Sundance
That's a smart playlist, not a playlist.

To create a playlist, just hit Q on the folder to queue them all up, then switch to the now playing screen (space) and you can save it there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Question 
Hey,

Just got XBMC and I don't understand it.. All I want to do is add a folder of music videos, and have them play randomly (out of a saved playlist\smart playlist I can come back to).

BUT the smart playlist only has a select few of the music videos out of the folder (apparently because the scraper can't find data for the rest, maybe? I don't know..) and I can't find a way to play that whole folder on random.

What do I do? I don't care about metadata or anything for these videos, I just want them played!!

NoAngryRolleyes
bradular Wrote:Hey,

Just got XBMC and I don't understand it.. All I want to do is add a folder of music videos, and have them play randomly (out of a saved playlist\smart playlist I can come back to).

BUT the smart playlist only has a select few of the music videos out of the folder (apparently because the scraper can't find data for the rest, maybe? I don't know..) and I can't find a way to play that whole folder on random.

What do I do? I don't care about metadata or anything for these videos, I just want them played!!

NoAngryRolleyes

I'm having a similar problem.

In the smart playlist, add a new rule for path and point it to the path of all your music videos, assuming of course they are all located in the same place.

It's a giant pain in the butt. There really needs to be a play folder random and play folder in sequence option.
Dragontech ioBox 100HD w/1TB internal - YAMJ - Unique Black Glas
HTPC running XBMC & Boxee
Thecus N4100Pro NAS w/4x1.5TB Western Digital Green Drives Raid 5
Epson Home Cinema 8350 w/106" Elite Screen
Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Harmony One Remote
Thanks for the help. I was able to queue the videos and save them. However, I was not able to save them as a random sequence. How can I do that?

Best regards,
Sundance
Did you select "Shuffle" in the now playing screen?

Mark
I figured it out. The key is start playing the queue before saving.

So, the steps that worked for me are (Rapier skin)

1) Select the video source
2) Press Q (to queue all items)
3) Press Spacebar (to see the queued items)
4) Press P (to start playing)
5) Press Left, then Right twice and hit Enter to activate shuffle mode
6) Press Right twice to save the queue
7) Press X (to stop playing)
8) Press Esc several times to get to main menu
9) Left or right scroll to the Videos main menu entry
10) Press Up, then right to get to Playlists
11) Select your saved playlist and press P to play

That played my videos in a random sequence.

I noticed one thing tho. When I delete my playlist and try to do it again, after adding the video source to the queue, now it is already and always in random sequence.

While these steps worked for me in the end I must admit that I also think that this is much to cumbersome. I agree with a previous poster that "Shuffle Play" should be in the context menu of each source - also Music. Because in the music section it takes similar efforts to start playing all music in random sequence.

Best regards,
Sundance
Sundance Wrote:I figured it out. The key is start playing the queue before saving.

So, the steps that worked for me are (Rapier skin)

1) Select the video source
2) Press Q (to queue all items)
3) Press Spacebar (to see the queued items)
4) Press P (to start playing)
5) Press Left, then Right twice and hit Enter to activate shuffle mode
6) Press Right twice to save the queue
7) Press X (to stop playing)
8) Press Esc several times to get to main menu
9) Left or right scroll to the Videos main menu entry
10) Press Up, then right to get to Playlists
11) Select your saved playlist and press P to play

That played my videos in a random sequence.

I noticed one thing tho. When I delete my playlist and try to do it again, after adding the video source to the queue, now it is already and always in random sequence.

While these steps worked for me in the end I must admit that I also think that this is much to cumbersome. I agree with a previous poster that "Shuffle Play" should be in the context menu of each source - also Music. Because in the music section it takes similar efforts to start playing all music in random sequence.

Best regards,
Sundance

At least it's not complicated. Sheesh...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Playlist with no type0