Most value-for-money box?
With some of the new boxes from Zotac (including the amd ones), is there a "flavour of the month" or "most value for money" favorite box currently?

Wanting a box for each tv money is definately an issue (4 sets), requirements:

1080p
LAN & WLAN
The more silent the better
Optical dvd drive would be nice for the kids rooms

No current requirement for audio as I dont have surround sound.

I have a budget of around 400-500 USD, I've seen the revo3700 for 460, but not sure if there are better options for the same or less amount? It doesn't have an ODD but can get by without.

Most posts lately are building their own systems, i'm trying to avoid this and still keep costs down, thanks in advance.
If you can live without a DVD drive, the Zotac ND22 is the best choice because of the core 2 duo CPU which is significantly faster than any Atom CPU.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
maxinc Wrote:If you can live without a DVD drive, the Zotac ND22 is the best choice because of the core 2 duo CPU which is significantly faster than any Atom CPU.

Its not core 2 duo - its Celeron SU2300 Rolleyes
nemek Wrote:Its not core 2 duo - its Celeron SU2300

It may be called a fancy name but it's still based on Penryn, which is the same architecture the Core 2 Duo uses. This is what makes it so much faster compared to the Atom, even if it's only 1.2Ghz.
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
Celeron SU2300 = 2 x 1.2Ghz
Thanks for the help so far, I've been trying to find that Zotac in denmark but haven't had much luck this far.

Would the ASRock NetTop ION 3D 152D be a good choice aswell? It has an ODD.
Though for the same price I could get shuttle's xs35gt-804 from a retailer a few blocks away.
why not build your own box? Smile
It's been years since I've built a box myself, and am totally out-of-the-loop hardware wise, so wouldnt have the faintest idea which parts are compatible and how to handle the noise/cooling requirement.

Last time I built anything was with a SUGO 5 case and that's definately too big for my current requirements, and too noisy.

But I guess having the ability to improve the box later on with extras might be nice, but not sure i can sell a bigger box to the missus Wink
The shuttle is even better because 1) has option to add DVD drive and 2) is completely silent. Make sure all your TVs can get the audio over HDMI as the Shuttle doesn't have the optical out. The only other limitation is that it doesn't have a GbE network card, only 100Mbps but this shouldn't prevent it from streaming full 1080p as long as your network and your NAS are GbE capable.
zbox hd-nd22 is the only culv solution around still? I've read a bunch of reviews and the increased cpu power seems nice to have.

still the shuttle is damn tempting, passived cooled and ability to hold an ODD is excellent for me, just wondering if the increased cpu power is worth sacrificing those 2.
The more powerfull CPU would help with XBMC interface fluidity in some of the more advanced skins so it's difficult to say. I have 2 atom 330 boxes in my bedrooms, and althogh I can see some differences compared to the more powerfull i3 setup downstairs, my wife can't seem to notice them. Palyback is flawless on all setups which I think is the most important bit.

If I had to buy them again, I would get the ND22s only because they are better boxes and I don't need the optical drives. I have all DVDs ripped on to the NAS and is so damn easy to play them. Even my 4 year old can play them and I don't have to worry about scratches, finger prints or chocolate marks.
Thumbs Up 
check out the Asus s1
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=PBY1wFg4r0bOWE5O
I was going to go the ND-22 route but found that it could have problems keeping up with AEON and other demanding skins, not sure how true this is as I don't own one, but that is what I've read here.
I thought the ND22 was supposed to handle stuff like AEON better because of the extra processor power ?

Leaning mostly towards the ND22 currently, that or a custom build Smile
@Ramshackles
if your in search for some extra power to run heavy duty skins like AEON,
for ~$30 USD less than the ZOTAC ND22 ($270 USD)
you can get your hands on this custom build!

[cpu] Intel Celeron E3400 Dual-Core 2.6GHz LGA-775 65W ($50 + $2.50)
[mobo] Intel BOXDG41WV LGA-775 Micro-ATX ($55 + $2.50)
[gpu] ZOTAC GeForce GT210 512MB DDR2 64-bit Low Profile ($31 + $0)
[case+psu] Antec MicroFusion 350W 80+ Certified Micro-ATX ($100 + $0)
TOTAL: ($241)

The ZOTAC GT210 even has a $15 Mail-in-Rebate as we speak!
And the case well, u can swap it for another one of course!
Then just add an SSD and some RAM to the mix and the rest is history!!

Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most value-for-money box?0