Another HDMI / 5.1 Issue
Hi,

Now this is me probably doing something stupid but please could someone give me a few pointers if they think i might be doing something wrong!

I can't seem to get 5.1 audio though my Onkyo amp/ 5.1 setup. 2 Channel works just fine but not a sausage from 5.1. Ive tried every bloody combination of audio output to no avail. (I keep getting the message "There is a problem with your audio settings" when attempting to play the film).

What i've done to troubleshoot;-

I ran aplay -l and checked the devices. (Board is a Zotac H55-ITX using the ALC888 audio chipset)

I picked this device;

Card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI 0 [INTEL HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1

and then ran;

speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -c02

The result is positive - sound from the front two speakers. I then repeat the test but with 6 channel sound.

speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -c06

The result is again bang on. Each channel outputs to the correct 5.1 speaker.

No matter what combination i use within XBMC Audio settings, 5.1 refuses to work.

Ive tried explicitly setting the audio output device to "plughw:0,3" and still i get the error.

In the logs i get the following;-

Initialize alsa device plughw:0,3
Initialize - failed to open custom device plughw:0,3 (error: No such file or directory retry with default plughw:0,3
alsa error: -16 - Device or resource busy

Ive also installed gstreamer-properties and set ALSA as the default output with device HDMI 0.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

Warren
bump, anyone?
boyo Wrote:bump, anyone?

Sound problems seem to be one area no one wants to talk about. There's no definitive guide on getting things working. I posted a question 2 weeks ago and got no response.

I wish I knew more about it so I could contribute.
Here is my setup which works fine:

HDMI cable from computer (onboard sound) to back of pioneer 7.1 hdmi switching reciever.

HDMI cable from back of receiver to back of samsung HDTV

receiver set to dolby digital 5.1 output

xbmc set to hdmi audio in 5.1 sound

sound card, receiver and media all support 5.1 encoding

5.1 sound works perfect

don't really know what to say:

> make sure your receiver, sound card and media all support 5.1 sound.
>select correct options in xbmc

should work, hope you get it straightened out

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Have you tried selecting "Default" as your audio output in XBMC?

You probably tried that before and it didn't work, but i noticed that a lot of people after tinkering with their setup (and changing their audio device in XBMC to "plughw" or "hw") rarely try the "Default" setting anymore.
Apparently sometimes the "tinkering" has fixed the problem but you have to set the audio device in XBMC back to "Default" to make it work.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe it works ... Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another HDMI / 5.1 Issue0