ATV2 & XBMC variety of questions
Posting etiquette probably dictates that I don't put a variety of topic questions in a single post but after running for about a month I've come up with these. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) How do I exit XBMC without shutting down atv?

2) I'm only getting 720p from the home screen - how do I get 1080p? Should I expect 1080p from the main menu XBMC screen?

3) Is there a way to rebuild the xmbc db to have it regenerate the movie list from the fileserver (source). I have a bunch of movies that don't exist on the NAS but still show up in the XBMC db.

4) Aspect ratio for movies is SO variable. I rip most of them via DVDfab using full resolution. Some are even letter boxed on the side (left and right). Is there a standard for ripping to improve "filling" the screen?

5) XMBC is crashing during quite a few movie controls (ff, OSD, etc). Is this just the nature of the nightly build?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Andrew
ironmanco Wrote:Posting etiquette probably dictates that I don't put a variety of topic questions in a single post but after running for about a month I've come up with these. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) How do I exit XBMC without shutting down atv? Click on the power button at the bottom of the main screen.

2) I'm only getting 720p from the home screen - how do I get 1080p? Should I expect 1080p from the main menu XBMC screen? 720p is the maximum output from the ATV presently.

3) Is there a way to rebuild the XBMC db to have it regenerate the movie list from the fileserver (source). I have a bunch of movies that don't exist on the NAS but still show up in the XBMC db. Go to settings, then video and in the first tab there is an option to 'Clean Database'.

4) Aspect ratio for movies is SO variable. I rip most of them via DVDfab using full resolution. Some are even letter boxed on the side (left and right). Is there a standard for ripping to improve "filling" the screen? This is such a broad question, I am not sure how to answer it. XBMC does offer zoom functionality, but I believe only on the PC.

5) XBMC is crashing during quite a few movie controls (ff, OSD, etc). Is this just the nature of the nightly build? Can't speak on this. I have been very fortunate and had few problems. That said, yes, nightly builds can and will have instabilities. Until the project is merged with the trunk and becomes official it will be pretty hit-or-miss for now.

-Andrew

Please see my response above.
Sony 75X940C, Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 x Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 1 x Martin Logan Motion 50XT, 2 x Martin Logan Motion FX, 4 x Martin Logan Motion 4, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, Sony X800 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
Plex Server: Intel Skull Canyon NUC, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
NAS: Synology DS2415+ (5 x 10TB, 2 x 6TB, 5 x 4TB)
1) How do I exit XBMC without shutting down atv? Click on the power button at the bottom of the main screen.

This seems to shut down the device and I have to hit the menu button to bring the ATV2 back online. I would expect hitting the power button to quickly return me to the ATV2 menu.

2) I'm only getting 720p from the home screen - how do I get 1080p? Should I expect 1080p from the main menu XBMC screen? 720p is the maximum output from the ATV presently.

Sorry, I meant ATV2. It was my understanding that ATV2 can output in 1080p.

3) Is there a way to rebuild the XBMC db to have it regenerate the movie list from the fileserver (source). I have a bunch of movies that don't exist on the NAS but still show up in the XBMC db. Go to settings, then video and in the first tab there is an option to 'Clean Database'.

Thanks - I'll try that.

4) Aspect ratio for movies is SO variable. I rip most of them via DVDfab using full resolution. Some are even letter boxed on the side (left and right). Is there a standard for ripping to improve "filling" the screen? This is such a broad question, I am not sure how to answer it. XBMC does offer zoom functionality, but I believe only on the PC.

I guess what I'm finding is that the same iso ripped to a physical dvd displays different when put into a actual dvd player as opposed to being streamed to XBMC.

5) XBMC is crashing during quite a few movie controls (ff, OSD, etc). Is this just the nature of the nightly build? Can't speak on this. I have been very fortunate and had few problems. That said, yes, nightly builds can and will have instabilities. Until the project is merged with the trunk and becomes official it will be pretty hit-or-miss for now.

K - thanks!

-Andrew
ironmanco Wrote:1) How do I exit XBMC without shutting down atv? Click on the power button at the bottom of the main screen.

This seems to shut down the device and I have to hit the menu button to bring the ATV2 back online. I would expect hitting the power button to quickly return me to the ATV2 menu. I am not sure as it simply closes XBMC for me.

Sorry, I meant ATV2. It was my understanding that ATV2 can output in 1080p. The ATV2 can decode 1080p, but only output 720p. The developers are looking for a work around, but it is not a priority.

Thanks - I'll try that.

I guess what I'm finding is that the same iso ripped to a physical dvd displays different when put into a actual dvd player as opposed to being streamed to XBMC. Are they widescreen movies that are anamorphically encoded? I am not sure how XBMC handles that with an ISO file

K - thanks!

-Andrew

See above.
Sony 75X940C, Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 x Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 1 x Martin Logan Motion 50XT, 2 x Martin Logan Motion FX, 4 x Martin Logan Motion 4, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, Sony X800 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
Plex Server: Intel Skull Canyon NUC, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
NAS: Synology DS2415+ (5 x 10TB, 2 x 6TB, 5 x 4TB)
ironmanco Wrote:1) How do I exit XBMC without shutting down atv? Click on the power button at the bottom of the main screen.

This seems to shut down the device and I have to hit the menu button to bring the ATV2 back online. I would expect hitting the power button to quickly return me to the ATV2 menu.

Sorry, I meant ATV2. It was my understanding that ATV2 can output in 1080p.

Thanks - I'll try that.

I guess what I'm finding is that the same iso ripped to a physical dvd displays different when put into a actual dvd player as opposed to being streamed to XBMC.

K - thanks!

-Andrew

1. it just restarts AppleTv.frappliance, normal behavior

2. ATV2 only outputs 720p

3.---

4. use handbrake, it has predefined settings for ripping

5. ---
1. what you are probably experiencing is a "Handshake" issue with the HDMI connection from the ATV2 to your TV/receiver. Mine does this as well. My TV will say searching for signal until I press a button on the remote and the ATV2 homescreen reappears.
1. Hold down menu button on the home screen - this closes XBMC & returns to iOS

5. Might be a problem with iOS trying to update in the background & crashing XBMC. Ensure your updates are disabled (search the forum)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 & XBMC variety of questions0