ION troubles with Full Blurays
Sad 
hi there!

This week I've got the full Avatar Bluray, 47GB. The m2ts file is 44GB. T. The problem is it won't play nice. The fps, instead of being at ~24fps, ranges from 20 to 25 and the movie is unwatchable.

I've got vdpau activated, sync to vblank too. When I press guide during playback I get the info screen which confirms vdpau is active...

Is it just that the ION won't cut it?? I thought I've read here that even the ION would play full Blurays fine.

I've seen a problem where lots of people where having trouble with the Avatar full disc.. but it came to an end without an answer.

I think Defiance also had this problem (already deleted, can't check), both movies being more than 30Mbps..

I've got some movies in the 20GBytes range that work just fine..

By the way, using ubuntu linux with the latest nvidia drivers from the X-swat ppa, and also booted into openelec and the same happened.

Any ideas?
i've found xbmc 10.1 to be a bit jumpy where m2ts, vc1 and dtshd (only outputting the core, of course) are concerned.

i know avatar is h264 and dtshd. i also have this problem with true grit (2010), as it is h264 and dtshd.

newer versions of xbmc cope better for myself.

i have an asrock330 (non ht). i'll go try true grit on a compile from today.
I have also tried making a mkv file with the h264 stream and spanish DTS 5.1 stream (NOT dts-hd) and the same happens. It doesn't play nice.
have you tried a newer version of xbmc? that is what makes everything nice for me.

i can upload a .deb for you. I've never had much luck with them, i just built one too see how it was done.
no, I've not tried a newer release and I think I'll wait until Eden is released. Until them I think I'll just avoid full blurays.

Did your troubles dissappear with a newer version?

Thanks anyway Smile
yep, the files that didnt play nice, now play nice Big Grin ( followed this guide by X3lectric - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89817)

what is your xorg.conf? and do you use 24hz on your display?
my xorg.conf was generated by the nvidia script for perfect playback that's in a thread here and yes, I use 24Hz.

As I say, nearly all my bdrips play fine, at full hd resolution, some of them with DTS and at 24Hz, it's just really big Blurays that seem to have trouble.

Anyway, lots of thanks for your help, one day I may just do a copy of my .xbmc folder and maybe try those git instructions to see if it solves the problem or not.
bluray playback is not enabled on official stable xbmc or unstable you either need sitz ppa or you need to compile bluray support in.
When I say bluray I mean the untouched m2ts file with the movie, not menus an such. As said I did a remux (only removing languages and subs I didn't want) to mkv and the same happens. It plays, but not nice at all
Could be simply a bandwidth issue. What are the symptoms? Does it stutter? If so, does it stutter only during heavy (bandwidth) scenes?

You could try the apparently more efficient FernetMenta's branch.
later version of xbmc handle video playback better bobo1on1 did a great deal of work to that effect. anyways m2ts files are essentially mpeg files.

Like Lb06 says fermentas vdpau improvements sure great but a recent xbmc build doesn't hurt either along with new drivers and newest vdpau.

Its a cat and mouse game really.
Plays fine for me, in fact it will even stream over WiFi (802.11n 300 Mbps via NFS).
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
MidnightWatcher Wrote:Plays fine for me, in fact it will even stream over WiFi (802.11n 300 Mbps via NFS).

Offtopic, but what settings do you use for NFS, ex: NFS server threads 4, NFS transfer size etc...
liq456 Wrote:Offtopic, but what settings do you use for NFS, ex: NFS server threads 4, NFS transfer size etc...
I pretty much followed the guide and settings here:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-...e-NFS.html

I am using two EnGenius ESR-9752 routers purchased from NCIX.Com (first one set to 192.168.0.1 and the second one acting as a repeater is set to 192.168.0.2, two floors apart). This model is 300Mbps, but not dual band. I'm sure that (almost) any 300Mbps router that also can be set up as a repeater will work fine, maybe a dual band router would in theory be better, but I am streaming full 1080p .m2ts/MKV Blu-ray rips over NFS without issue. Most rips are nearly 30GB and under in size and they stream perfectly fine for me (though I usually use Handbrake to re-encode and cut the file size in half to save space without an noticeable difference in PQ).

I should note, I haven't tried BD ISOs or .m2ts/MKV streams with multiple audio tracks yet because I don't need all of the extra tracks. When I rip the BD I only include the English AC3 or DTS track for each title. I should mention that the Avatar .m2ts I mentioned as streaming over WiFi using NFS is in fact a high bitrate 145903 KB (141.5 MB) 30-second clip of the film (1080p DTS-HD MA / AC3) that I used as a test sample to test the WiFi performance under SMB and NFS. Using SMB the clip would constantly stutter as it waited for more data from the stream. Using NFS the clip played from beginning to end without a single hiccup. NFS is vastly superior for WiFi streaming.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
just wanted to say I've just been trying one of the Openelec Pre-Eden builds... and problems seems to be resolved... I'm really excited to see Eden coming!!!

I hope that by the end of the year I get a nice job and will be able to build a server.. and then switch to Openelect. Great piece of software!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ION troubles with Full Blurays0