eMachines 1401 any good?
Hi, I have Ubuntu 11.04 freshly installed on my er1401 with XMBC, however I can't get sound working over HDMI - any ideas?

This isn't an XBMC issue as I dont hear any startup noises when Ubuntu's desktop shows, also if I go on firefox and watch youtube videos no sound outputs - any ideas?
i fixed this...

its something like pulse audio or something. disable that. then go on alsa mixer, make sure all the channels are okay. then just make sure your settings in sound options are okay (audio over hdmi)

i personally saw little/no performance increase over ubuntu if u have a choice between that and windows.

i'd suggest OPENELEC if you don't rely on wireless because DDS fanart is enabled and because its so light, its just really nice to work with.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
helllo aoaaron - sorry I should have explained, I am a bit of a noob - i don't know what pulse audio and how i can disable it

my er1401 came with linpus pre-installed, hence why installed ubuntu as it is free
well i removed pulseaudio and it acted like i had no sound card installed, so i had to reinstall it as i didn't know what else i could do

i can get audio via the 3.5mm headphone jack but this is not ideal for my configuration - if bertybassett stumbles upon this comment is help would be great as it sounds like he has my exact same setup but with sound working

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

these are the options available to me, the bottom two allows sound output via the 3.5mm headphone jack, but no-matter what i do HDMI does not output audio

by the way i have installed the 3rd party nvidia graphics card driver
guys who post here, would you possibly be able to comment on/ add your emachine's temps? Check in bios from a standard startup

Thanks.
hr21 what button do i press to get into the bios?

update: mine has been on all day and is running at 56 degrees
Ah sounds like mine was.

You may want to turn smart fan off to reduce temps but it becomes noisy.

It's delete to get into bios.
theseeder Wrote:well i removed pulseaudio and it acted like i had no sound card installed, so i had to reinstall it as i didn't know what else i could do

i can get audio via the 3.5mm headphone jack but this is not ideal for my configuration - if bertybassett stumbles upon this comment is help would be great as it sounds like he has my exact same setup but with sound working

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

these are the options available to me, the bottom two allows sound output via the 3.5mm headphone jack, but no-matter what i do HDMI does not output audio

by the way i have installed the 3rd party nvidia graphics card driver

I'm really sorry but I can't remember the exact steps I took. All I know is I

1) disabled pulse audio
2) went into alsa mixer, unmuted all sound channels and selected the nvidia HDMI soundcard as the output (it was set to something else before) and then I went to sound preferences and changed it til I got sound.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
ok i will try doing things in that order, how did you disable pulseaudio? by removing it or is there a way to disable it - perhaps this is where I am going wrong
aoaaron Wrote:how did you get wifi working on XBMC freak?

Sorry for the delay Smile

Not tried wifi as i'm using some 200mbps powerlines (also from Ebuyer) so I can't really help there. Getting around 4 MegaBytes per sec even when connected into an extension lead. Successfully streaming 1080p.
hi all, can anyone play a 18+ gb file without any judder/stutter?

I'm on open elec generic build. Wondering if I need to tinker about.

CHeers.
So what do people find works best?

Xbmc live
Xbmcfreak
Open elec daily build latest generic?

I'm on generic latest and I do get judder/stutter at times on my movies. Particularly higher gb files such as over 15gb.

I'm wondering if freak would be better?

Also what sort of settings have you used? I haven't changed much.

Thanks.
steddie Wrote:Ok updates....
I reduced the slight jitter by turning off the "smooth motion" effect on my tv 120hz. I never had this issue with my wd live tv box set @ 1080p 60hz. i wonder if i can further tweak to sort it out. I Can Confirm plays full bluray rips 1080p in MKV, M2TS, and TS containers. Menus are responsive for me.

Has anyone else experienced this slight stutter? If so.. How do i get rid of it? It is not constant. Seeing that it was greatly reduced by turning of the 120hz feature on my tv. is it safe assume a refresh issue? I am still pursuit of perfectionHuh please any input is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
Media info:
Complete name : D:\Vids\Spider-Man 3 (2007).mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 28.7 GiB
Duration : 2h 19mn
Overall bit rate : 29.6 Mbps
Movie name : Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Encoded date : UTC 2011-09-05 19:52:16
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.5.0 ('Speed of Light') built on Feb 1 2011 02:10:32
Writing library : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=10
Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2h 19mn