source code for Boost volume on Downmix option
Hello,

in the Audio Settings there is an option to "Boost volume on Downmix",
could somebody please show me the relevant source code or how this is implemented?

As this function is really important for many laptop owners who only have a 2.1 system and most new videos often include a 5.1track, the problem without this volume boost: the speech is too quiet. I know this is due to the wanted wide dynamics range, but most media players on linux lack such an option, and i'd like to point developers to the relevant source code so they can consider implementing it too.

Regards
It'll be in https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master.../dvdplayer somwhere. I don't know the code well enough to say exactly where.

Having said that, XBMC's ability to downmix 5.1 to stereo isn't all it could be. There are sporadic reports hereabouts that speech is too quiet when downmixed from 5.1 to stereo.

JR
Seems to me on a short look with grep -Ri this is done directly in /lib/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ac3dec.c or more generally in libavcodec for other formats.
If i search under dvdplayer/ the only mentions are about DVD_KARAOKE_DOWNMIX.

jhsrennie Wrote:Having said that, XBMC's ability to downmix 5.1 to stereo isn't all it could be. There are sporadic reports hereabouts that speech is too quiet when downmixed from 5.1 to stereo.
Well, a partly working downmix is better than no downmix at all, which is much worse

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
source code for Boost volume on Downmix option0