Bottleneck question.
Question 
So I pretty much finished my HTPC build with thanks to you and your forums here. Once done, I will post pics with step by step developments of my new baby.

Here is my question though: I went for an "Asus E35m-l Deluxe" as the heart of the system. Everything so far performs as expected. And I knew full well that newer game titles couldn't quite be handled. But leave it to me to install "NFS Hot Pursuit" and rock the asphalt at 6fps Big Grin

So I got me a HD 5450 with 1GB of Ram to help along. I read that anything above that card was wasted money anyway. So I installed it and started up the game expecting a quality race such as this one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghkAlzX0Z...re=related

But lo and behold I barely scratch 20fps even at all settings to low from 1024 to 1920 in resolution. Seems as though nothing really makes a difference. So I gather there is a bottle neck somewhere.

I also dabbled a bit with the integrated "AMD Vision" card overclocking ... but nothing either.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
I'm guessing that the E-350 is optimized to only work with the integrated graphics (HD 6310) on the APU and the dedicated card is really messing things up.
Um, the Fusion CPU is fast compared to an Atom but that is because Atom's are very weak (like Pentium 3 weak). Based on benchmarks a Fusion CPU is still a good bit slower than your average Core 2 Duo. That is your bottleneck, it is not a gaming machine.

poofyhairguy Wrote:it is not a gaming machine.

+1, dont buy an E-350 platform for gaming,,,
Thanks guys. It was really never meant to be a gaming machine. I would have gone for a completely different setup then. My gaming machine currently sits in the back of the room, rocking a Geforce GTX 480.

I just had the occasional game in mind, one that is enjoyable from the couch Smile And a bit of racing would have quenched just that thirst.
So would you guys mind shedding some more light on this for me? I simply thought that the graphics card is responsible for the main work load when it comes to gaming.

I actually never understood all the simple inner relationships which sometimes have these impacts on each other. Such as: what exactly throttles the power of the graphics card in this case?
bwhizz Wrote:So would you guys mind shedding some more light on this for me? I simply thought that the graphics card is responsible for the main work load when it comes to gaming.

It does. But the CPU (in most cases) is doing things likes physics and AI. That uses some real power, especially when most games assume at least an Xbox 360 level CPU (about a Core 2 Duo).

I see. Good to know. Thanks Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bottleneck question.0