[ATV2]Installed XBMC, now TV says unsupported signal
I have an ATV2 running the latest software. I jailbroke using Seas0nPass untethered. Then I installed XBMC. It installed correctly and I started looking around, navigating through the menus. Suddenly the image on my TV disappeared. After a few seconds, my TV said it was a receiving an unsupported signal and I should check the source. I unplugged the ATV2, waited awhile and plugged back in. I tried ssh'ing and killing the atv app. Nothing worked. Then I restored the factory settings from iTunes, but I still get the same message from my TV.

Any ideas what else I can try? Have I broken it completely?
what brand/model is your TV?
I have a Sony KDL-40X3500. In the US I think it was called the XBR4.
A friend of mine had this issue. I updated his xbmc installation with the latest nightly. It fixed it for him. He is running atv2 4.1.3.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

At this point I have removed the jailbreak from the ATV2 (and am still getting an unsupported signal message on my tv) so there is no xbmc to update.
Is there any chance the tv is trying to detect a different resolution or signal type? Can you factory reset your tv?
Thanks for this suggestion. I have just tried resetting factory defaults but this did not fix the problem.
OK, very strange behaviour. A few more questions.

1. What happens when you reboot your ATV2? (Hold Menu + Play for 5 seconds) Does anything change on screen? What about the LED on the front of the ATV2?

2. Can you connect to a different HDMI port on the TV?

3. Can you try on a different TV?

Sorry I'm clutching at straws and want to rule out TV issues before focusing completely on the ATV2.
I get this if when the ATV2 is powered off fully. It's to do with the handshake for hdcp i believe? could be wrong. Anyway to fix it put the tv on and change it to the HDMI channel of choice then power up the ATV2, a similar thing happens on the same TV with my SkyHD box but on the other tv its fine. As long as the tv is powered and on the correct channel before the ATV2/SkyHD get powered on it works
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

@dizzyikea, thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, this didn't work for me.

@JWindebank, thanks for coming by again to help out.
1. When I reboot, the "unsupported signal" message goes away, and the LED on the front of the ATV2 blinks really fast for a few seconds, then blinks slowly and steadily, and then goes solid. Then the error message comes back on my TV.

2. I have tried plugging the ATV2 into the 2 other HDMI ports on my TV, which I know are working. I get the same "unsupported signal" message. I also tried using a different HDMI cable.

3. I don't have another TV, but could try to take it over to a friend's house tomorrow.
This happened to me when I was trying out my jailbroken atv2. I went through the jailbreak process a couple of times until I decided to test in a different TV, with a different HDMI cable, and realized it was the cable.

lpjojo Wrote:@dizzyikea, thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, this didn't work for me.

@JWindebank, thanks for coming by again to help out.
1. When I reboot, the "unsupported signal" message goes away, and the LED on the front of the ATV2 blinks really fast for a few seconds, then blinks slowly and steadily, and then goes solid. Then the error message comes back on my TV.

2. I have tried plugging the ATV2 into the 2 other HDMI ports on my TV, which I know are working. I get the same "unsupported signal" message. I also tried using a different HDMI cable.

3. I don't have another TV, but could try to take it over to a friend's house tomorrow.
I didn't try it on another TV, but did try different cables and different HDMI ports, to no avail. In the end, I was able to exchange it today at the Apple Store for a new one.

Now I have to decide whether to try installing XBMC again!
lpjojo Wrote:I didn't try it on another TV, but did try different cables and different HDMI ports, to no avail. In the end, I was able to exchange it today at the Apple Store for a new one.

Now I have to decide whether to try installing XBMC again!

I had similar issues with 4.1.3... All fixed with newer versions of iOS and I use 4.3 these days.

And there is no question as to whether or not you want XBMC... You do. It rocks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2]Installed XBMC, now TV says unsupported signal0