Does this Media player play AVI files?
Question 
Downloaded and installed XBMC looks pretty cool, (WinXP SP3). Went to the folder were I keep downloaded movies, (all .AVI) and other downloads. But XBMC does'nt see any them, (sees .rar files).

How can I get this thing to play my .AVI movie files?
Hello,

Please find all relevant information here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Mark
Question 
Can't find it. Is there a simple answer or do I have to read the entire manual?
Yes, there is a very simple answer. Of course XBMC plays avi files. It plays just about every type of audio and video file in just about every type of container imaginable.

The problem is you've provided so little information about what you've done and your setup that nobody could possible offer any more help than a shot in the dark.

Did you add your directory as a source, set the content, set a scraper and process the source? Let's get some specifics rather than just "hey, this doesn't work, help!"
clubwerks Wrote:Yes, there is a very simple answer. Of course XBMC plays avi files. It plays just about every type of audio and video file in just about every type of container imaginable.

Neutral response. Good to know..

clubwerks Wrote:The problem is you've provided so little information about what you've done and your setup that nobody could possible offer any more help than a shot in the dark.....Let's get some specifics rather than just "hey, this doesn't work, help!"

(Chastising and not very diplomatic. I became a problem by asking a simple question)? I haven't been asked anything about my set up yet till now. What do you need to know about my set up?

clubwerks Wrote:Did you add your directory as a source...
Yes.

clubwerks Wrote:...set the content, set a scraper and process the source?

Now here is were I'm clueless. Can you help or I'm I bugging for too much?Big Grin
Bugger Wrote:Neutral response. Good to know..

(Chastising and not very diplomatic. I became a problem by asking a simple question)? I haven't been asked anything about my set up yet till now. What do you need to know about my set up?

Yes.

Now here is were I'm clueless. Can you help or I'm I bugging for too much?Big Grin

You need to relax a little. Nobody said you were a "problem." You have a problem and you're trying to get help. It's similar to calling a mechanic on the phone and saying "Hey, my car doesn't run very well, what's wrong with it?" Wink

Go to Videos>Files and highlight the directory you added. Hit C on your keyboard and hit Edit Source. Go down to OK and hit OK. You should see:

Directory Contains: --

Set that to whatever you want, movies or tv shows. Turn on "Run Automated Scan." If it's a movie source and every movie is in it's own folder, turn on "Use folder names for lookups." Turn on "Scan Recursively." Go right arrow key to the scraper selection. Highlight the scraper you want to use and hit enter. Go over to OK and hit enter.

That should do it if you have your folders set up correctly and things named properly. However, I wouldn't know any of that because you didn't provide that information. Wink
Bugger Wrote:...I'm I bugging for too much?Big Grin

Well your username is 'Bugger', so ....

Big Grin
Thumbs Up 
clubwerks Wrote:You need to relax a little. Nobody said you were a "problem." You have a problem and you're trying to get help. It's similar to calling a mechanic on the phone and saying "Hey, my car doesn't run very well, what's wrong with it?" Wink

That's not the way I read it. Actually it was more like asking for help and the first mechanic sends me to the nearest library to find my answer there. Then the second mechanic tells me don't ask questions until you explain yourself first.

Gave me the impression that some forum members are snooty elitist. Thanks for your reply I eventually figured it out. Took a bit of fooling around but I got it going. Big Grin
Bugger Wrote:That's not the way I read it. Actually it was more like asking for help and the first mechanic sends me to the nearest library to find my answer there. Then the second mechanic tells me don't ask questions until you explain yourself first.

Gave me the impression that some forum members are snooty elitist. Thanks for your reply I eventually figured it out. Took a bit of fooling around but I got it going. Big Grin

If I was a mechanic, I'd certainly want you to explain yourself before I begin even a casual diagnosis. Wink
And, you're welcome. Glad you got it going.
Big Grin 
clubwerks Wrote:If I was a mechanic, I'd certainly want you to explain yourself before I begin even a casual diagnosis. Wink

Ironically I'm a retired mechanic. Diagnosis always began with me asking how can I help you, followed by simple questions by the customer, than I ask for more elaborate information. Perhaps most customer servicing begins that way or at least that's the way it used to be. So maybe times have changed.

Anyway...problem solved! Thank you! Nod
Bugger Wrote:Ironically I'm a retired mechanic. Diagnosis always began with me asking how can I help you, followed by simple questions by the customer, than I ask for more elaborate information. Perhaps most customer servicing begins that way or at least that's the way it used to be. So maybe times have changed.

Anyway...problem solved! Thank you! Nod

You made a living at that. Nobody here is paid to solve your problems. You might want to forge ahead with that in mind.
it's not just you, that was a douchey retarded response. Kodi needs scrapers to play local avi files now, according to the nozzle.
(2018-03-24, 06:54)nightbob3 Wrote: it's not just you, that was a douchey retarded response. Kodi needs scrapers to play local avi files now, according to the nozzle.
 You came here and joined just to post a shitty response to a 7 year old thread?

Please convince me you're not just a troll.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does this Media player play AVI files?0