Latest XBMC build on ATV2, subtitle stutter
As the title states the latest build of XBMC 'Eden' on OS 4.4.4 seems to have some issues with subtitles, specifically I was watching anime, foreign language movies and the other file was star wars clone wars episodes. I used to have 4.3 and pretty much everything was running great. Unfortunately I tried to revert back to 4.3 but was getting an error 3194 constantly. I read a little about apple stop signing certain drivers and found no way to revert successfully, so I'm hoping the current build will have a fix in the coming weeks.

Practically every other video file streams very well, I've not scouted the forums enough to know if a fix has already been released.

P.S. The work your team does is fantastic Smile
It's an ATV/iOS 4.4.4 issue, unfortunately. It uses more CPU power, even while not really doing anything, which means less CPU power for XBMC. At least that's what we've figured so far. I've seen it too with my anime.

Any fix would require either further optimization of XBMC, or a way to get iOS to use less resources on the ATV2.
Ned Scott Wrote:It's an ATV/iOS 4.4.4 issue, unfortunately. It uses more CPU power, even while not really doing anything, which means less CPU power for XBMC. At least that's what we've figured so far. I've seen it too with my anime.

Any fix would require either further optimization of XBMC, or a way to get iOS to use less resources on the ATV2.

Hi Ned,

Excuse me, is this issue possibly related to 'libass' library or any other library rendering the subtitle? Huh

Using 'top' to watch XBMC process, I see obvious CPU percentage cost rising when the subtitle appears. Then pause the video, and CPU cost gets down immediately. Before this test, I have free the system RAM and disable most of system daemons to make sure enough RAM and CPU resources for XBMC.

So, I think maybe not iOS 5 consumes more CPU but the way XBMC rendering the subtitle makes the video stutter.

Is there any possibility to improve the subtitle rendering efficiency of XBMC on Apple TV 2? Thanks a lot!

PS: Recently, I have turned to Firecore's aTV Flash Media Player and found this player is just a frontend of FFMpeg (or Libav). It does a real-time conversion when playing video. The subtitle is hard-encoded into the scene. Confused
Hi,

Many thanks for the responses. I'm in no rush for a fix as I'm certain your team will find a solution eventually. I have faith Smile

Anyone else experiencing similar issues, and any potential solutions ?
Ushae Wrote:Hi,
Anyone else experiencing similar issues, and any potential solutions ?

there is already another thread talking about this.

1. I have a ATV2 running the oldest 4.1 OS and latest Eden which have same issue.

2. another iPod4 running 4.2.1OS and latest Eden have same stutter issue.

I don't think this happened during the Dharma era.
happen to .srt subs.
Eden RC2 atv2 720p really stutters with MKV embedded subtitles Sad
(2012-03-25, 11:26)bahman2000 Wrote: Eden RC2 atv2 720p really stutters with MKV embedded subtitles Sad

Same here. I was watching an anime episode at 1080p, and it stutters when subtitles appears, but i disabled subtitles and it runs smoothly. I hope XBMC team could find a solution for this, because it would make this player absolutely perfect.

Btw, in my case it's playing the videos in an iPod 4G.
Just upgraded to Eden Final.
Same problem Sad
As I said before: "Any fix would require either further optimization of XBMC, or a way to get iOS to use less resources on the ATV2."

Both options are being looked at, as they would help us in a number of ways. Just no ETA or guarantees at the moment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest XBMC build on ATV2, subtitle stutter0