Struttering problems
Hi Guys!

I'm new to this forum but have had an apple tv 2 for a couple of months now. I'm VERY pleased with it. Except one thing.

I'm experiencing som struttering (lag) when watching 720p x264 files (.mkv). From what I've seen it doesnt really matter how big the file is.

I've therefore performed a test where I've been playing a 720p x264 (.mvk) file which generated the following log: http://pastebin.com/MmHWj4tr

The other file was also a HDTV x264 but .mpeg which generated the following log: http://pastebin.com/YUXRnDji

Am i missing something or is it not possible to play .mkv?

My setup is ATV2 wired to a switch which is wired to my readynas Ultra. The cables are Cat5e. My transferspeed between the computer and Ultra is around 500Mbits so I can't see that it is my network that is struggeling... But who knows?

I would really appreciate if someone could take a glance at my log files.

cincerely / Chip
do you use ass subtitles embedded in mkv?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz!

I use the XBMC Addon to download subs within XBMC, so my answer is no I guess?

Some aditional information about my system: My ATV2 is running 4.4.4 (3330) and my XBMC build is 11.0 Eden (Git:20120321) EDEN Compiled: 21 March 2012. I store my media on a Readynas Ultra running NFS. I've tried all other available options (AFP, uPnP etc) but NFS is the one I'm getting the best results with.

Thanks for your reply! /Chip
But you are using subtitles when it stutters? If so try without subs and see if this is the cause of stutter in your case.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-03-28, 07:11)chip_saffire Wrote: Some aditional information about my system: My ATV2 is running 4.3.3 and my XBMC build is 11.0 Eden (Git:20120321) EDEN Compiled: 21 Mars 2012

Your XBMC was compiled in Mars. You'll have to contact the Martians for this. Laugh
so it's your ego that is the problem? ;> hint; http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Strutter
I've tried with and without subtitles and it doesnt make a difference...

I have a TV which can connect to my readynas ultra via ReadyDNLA, the TV plays the content without a single hickup. And that through WLAN. The apple TV has Ethernet connection. So it can't be my network...?

I'm running with file protocol NFS.

I've also tried going through the WIFI with the ATV2 but the stuttering clearly gets worse... The media info from the file I'm using is the following:

General
CompleteName : W:\XBMC\Movies\Johnny English Reborn 2011 720p BluRay x264-HAiDEAF\johnny.english.reborn.720p.bluray.x264-haideaf.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format_Version : Version 2
FileSize/String : 4.37 GiB
Duration/String : 1h 41mn
OverallBitRate/String : 6 172 Kbps
Encoded_Application : x264.exe
Encoded_Library/String : mkv2rls v1.3 (date: 2010 aug 28)

Video
ID/String : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : [email protected]
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 5 frames
CodecID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
BitRate/String : 4 662 Kbps
Width/String : 1 280 pixels
Height/String : 528 pixels
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 2.40:1
FrameRate/String : 23.976 fps
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.288
StreamSize/String : 3.21 GiB (74%)
Encoded_Library/String : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
Encoded_Library_Settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x2 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=4662 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language/String : English
Default/String : Yes
Forced/String : No

Audio
ID/String : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
CodecID : A_DTS
BitRate_Mode/String : Constant
BitRate/String : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 6 channels
ChannelPositions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 24 bits
Compression_Mode/String : Lossy
StreamSize/String : 1.07 GiB (24%)
Title : English DTS 1509kbps
Language/String : English
Default/String : Yes
Forced/String : No

XBMC and the ATV2 should be able to play this, right?

Realised I'm running IOS 4.4.4 on the apple tv, not 4.3.3 as stated in my first post. sory about that.
File looks good - everything looks good. But the history tells us that atv2 is very picky when it gets to network components.
is your atv2 connected to dts capable AVReceiver or it is connected to TV ?
I had the same problem in my sons room when I connect an atv2 directly to TV and in settings I set audio to 2.0 because the tv was unable to decode dts and dolby dgital AC3 .
so the atv2 gets freeze on mkv dts files but other atv2's in my home works fine whit same file but dts capable ...
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

Memphiz, I will try to move around in my setup and exclude the router, and alla other stuff.

papampi, the ATV is directly connected to the TV. I've messed around with the settings for different speaker setups before without noticing anything different. I will make another test and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
I've now tried without a router (only my switch), with a different router, different cables. The lot. Still having the same problems... Also tried changing audio ouput to stereo. No difference.

I see when I stream directly via ReadyDNLA to my Samsung Smart TV the Readynas server sends data in speeds between 600KB/s and 2MB/s. When I'm watching the same thing via the ATV2 I get speeds between 10KB/s and 1,5MB/s... So it's clear that my network is fast enough. But it seems that the ATV2 can't receive data fast enough. Atleast in my case...

Any thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Struttering problems0