good deal?
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShock...07182012_1
Seems to be since it includes a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900
would this be a suitable system to use as additional storage without having to build an additional server?
That drive would not be optimum for hardware raid because it does not support TLER. Other than that it seems like a fair price

Quick edit for better eplanation:
"The moral of this story is that typical consumer grade (green) drives have data error timeouts that are far longer than the drive offline timeout of typical RAID controllers, and without some form of TLER, two bad sectors (totaling 1024 bytes) is all that's required to put multiple terabytes of data in grave danger."
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Wes...ull-Review
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
I was going to ask you that very question,...if this is what you wanted to use it for,....and from your question it seems that it will be good for you without having to build an additional server.

Here's a better description:

This compact size 4-Bay Raid enclosure provides content creators a high-performance, dual-interface, solution for every type of digital asset. Equipped with 3Gbit eSATA and USB 3.0. It features a high-speed, low-cost internal RAID controller with (4) hot-swappable hard disk drive modules up to 12 TB. ( 3 TB x 4, disk drives not included ) The internal RAID controller supports RAID 0 for maximum performance, RAID 1.10, 3 and RAID 5 for data protection. RAID configuration is accomplished through a simple Mac OS X, Linux or Winodws application. It supports multi-stream SD and compressed HD work flows and Its small footprint and portability make it perfect for laptop applications where high capacity and RAID protection is important.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
good deal?0