random system crashes. power must be cycled from supply
Exclamation 
So, I've been working on an XBMC build for a few months now as a project. I purchased a older system with a 939 MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and changed out the cpu to a dual core and got a 1gb GeForce 210. It actually handles HD great and I've been using it as a sabnzb/sickbeard server to automagically download programs.

My issue is that it randomly hard crashes, the power led blinks and the power has be cycled. It's only while in XBMC and I can recreate it by using the music visualizer and going to some programs like navi-x and using the search function or just scrolling down the menu lists.

I have replaced the power supply, ram, tried 3 different graphics cards and went over to the MSI forums to see if the MB was bad. I can't seem to track down the problem.

Would anyone be so kind as to check my log file? http://pastie.org/5051267
Before the system crashed, I played a TV Episode to ensure everything was working properly, which it was, then I crashed the system by performing a search in navi-x

Thanks in advance!
This still looks like a hardware issue, nothing in XBMC.log is going to pick this out.. The key for me is that when having something graphically intensive like the visualizer running then opening up another screen for an alt task you have the issue. This could be anything from the memory boundary of the graphic card, to an over heating 'something'. Noting you've swapped out numerous hardware.. and the tell-tale LED pwr flash points at something close to the MB.. something is pointing at a full stop, and recycles (usually this is the CPU but could point at faulty regulators etc..) Update the mb bios, get the latest drivers and strip out any extraneous hdw ... if all this fails, time for a rebuild not using this mb.
(2012-10-13, 18:14)PatK Wrote: This still looks like a hardware issue, nothing in XBMC.log is going to pick this out.. The key for me is that when having something graphically intensive like the visualizer running then opening up another screen for an alt task you have the issue. This could be anything from the memory boundary of the graphic card, to an over heating 'something'. Noting you've swapped out numerous hardware.. and the tell-tale LED pwr flash points at something close to the MB.. something is pointing at a full stop, and recycles (usually this is the CPU but could point at faulty regulators etc..) Update the mb bios, get the latest drivers and strip out any extraneous hdw ... if all this fails, time for a rebuild not using this mb.

it's not only when the visualizer is running. the system consistently crashes when going to the search function (always while entering characters) in navi-x. it also consistently crashes when browsing through skins and system menus. i'm not ruling out hardware issues, but the only thing left for me to replace is the motherboard, which means a whole new cpu, ram, etc. the systems runs without fail without xbmc running. thanks
As noted the system consistently crashes... but it doesn't look like you can pin down the exact one action. One wonders if you moved some of the software organization.. would the system crashes now have a different complication. If as you say it's only XBMC and the extras that you're having issues with...and you suspect some errant software stomping on code.

Suggest a 'very' minimal set-up, if even a live XBMC disk.. run nothing else, and no add-ons, no networking with the base skin Confuence. See if you can come up with something stable... then toggle visualization on and attempt to crash it out... ditto with the search function. Leave Navi-X for a few weeks until you are positive that you have a solid code base.

Easiest way to do this.... just rename your C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC to XBMC_org and C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC to XBMC_org and get a fresh stable download to install.... you can always revert back to your original version by renaming.
(2012-10-14, 17:29)PatK Wrote: As noted the system consistently crashes... but it doesn't look like you can pin down the exact one action. One wonders if you moved some of the software organization.. would the system crashes now have a different complication. If as you say it's only XBMC and the extras that you're having issues with...and you suspect some errant software stomping on code.

Suggest a 'very' minimal set-up, if even a live XBMC disk.. run nothing else, and no add-ons, no networking with the base skin Confuence. See if you can come up with something stable... then toggle visualization on and attempt to crash it out... ditto with the search function. Leave Navi-X for a few weeks until you are positive that you have a solid code base.

Easiest way to do this.... just rename your C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC to XBMC_org and C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC to XBMC_org and get a fresh stable download to install.... you can always revert back to your original version by renaming.

thanks for the advice, i will try these methods and report findings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
random system crashes. power must be cycled from supply0