I am unable to get itemseparator to work
I sorted through my MP3 collection, using Media Monkey, which separates Genre Tags using ";"

I went into my advancedsettings and I added this:

<musiclibrary>
<itemseparator>; </itemseparator> <!-- separator used for multiple artists/genres in tags. Note, this is *space* *slash* *space* -->
</musiclibrary>

I also tried <itemseparator> ; </itemseparator>

However, it does not seem to be separating the different genres.

I am using a Frodo nightly and Aeon Nox 4.0

I'm sure I'm doing something completely daft.

Oddly enough I'm not having quite the same results as you even though I also use the latest Frodo nightly, Media Monkey and "; " as the separator.

For me the genres separate correctly, but artists does not.
(2012-10-20, 17:56)sialivi Wrote: Oddly enough I'm not having quite the same results as you even though I also use the latest Frodo nightly, Media Monkey and "; " as the separator.

For me the genres separate correctly, but artists does not.

Now I'm puzzled.

I have ran update and clean - the only thing I can think is perhaps the database isn't being compltely refreshed, so basically I have legacy genres that existed before I added the itemseparator? I've no idea if that even makes sound sense.
not sure if this helps but are you separating the genres with a space between the semi colon?
I use / as a separator but have to use spaces between - same for artists

eg. pop / soul / acoustic
eg. emeli sande / professor green

I only say this because the first advanced setting you added Fional looks correct - its the same as mine ,except obviously I use forward slash and have no issues here
(I use mp3tag though)
(And not using Frodo)
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
Ah yes, I noticed the wiki was quite clear it was space stroke space.

I'd have like Folk; Folk Rock

So I figured the seperator would be "; "

I also, for a laugh, tried " ; "

But now I'm wondering that since the ; is attached to the word previous, perhaps XBMC is unable to parse it as it is looking for a whole word.

So that may be it. I'm going to go try that now and if that is the issue, then I'll definitely report back!
That was it.

Putting "; " isn't good enough.

So having something like "Folk Rock; Folk" in the mp3 tag isn't going to work. Even if you set the separator up as "; ".

That is because it's expecting the ; to be a whole word (I'm guessing).

Media Monkey doesn't let you separate tags with space semicolon space

I went into MP3Tag and added the space, so now the genre looks like "Folk Rock ; Folk"

and it worked.
Always glad to help
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
Deleted due to some bad/insufficient info on MP3(ID3.2) tags.

scott s.
Hello,

I'm having the same problem here.
Is there a workaround to avoid retagging my complete flac collection ?

It's a bit annoying...i have a very large collection, and in eden my tags appears correctly, and in all the other soft i use (mediamonkey, musicbee, sonos...)

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for any help.
Up ! Smile
There was another poster had a problem that sounds similar. I think he found out it was due to having both "mp3-style" tags (ID3 2.3) and "Flac-style" tags (Vorbis comments) in .flac files. It seems some changes were made in tag reading for Frodo that didn't like these tags any more. I think he found that removing the ID3 tags solved his problems. I don't think "separator" should be an issue for specification-compliant flac tags, as the spec says you only use FIELDNAME=value and when you want multiple values (for example genre) you simple repeat FIELDNAME=value1, FIELDNAME=value2, etc. It's up to the tag reader to figure out what to do (spec says either keep all as "multi-value" or keep the last occurrence).

scott s.
Thanks scott,

Thought my flac are tagged with id3v2.3 via mediamonkey....
I know where to search now, thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I am unable to get itemseparator to work0