Advanced Launcher problems in Windows 8
EDIT: I figured out the v64 file extension issue but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get this custom home title I created "Games" to open and display the games that XBMC has loaded. I'm also now getting an "Impossible to assign thumb" error when trying to apply a thumbnail to an individual title.

Something's wonky with Advanced Launcher in my XBMC (latest stable version 12.0). I installed Advanced Launcher per recommended instructions and when I go to set up Project64 (using the exact settings detailed on this website) the folder skips all v64 files, doesn't display the artwork, and worst of all I have no way of accessing the folder from the main menu. I created a custom menu called Games that opens up the "Project64" launcher I set up but then XBMC glitches out and displays just the theme background.

I've been going in circles for hours, checking and double-checking to make sure I've done everything 100% correctly. Any ideas?
(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: EDIT: I figured out the v64 file extension issue but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get this custom home title I created "Games" to open and display the games that XBMC has loaded.
To do this you just have to add Advanced Launcher as favourite into XBMC. Then, if the skin you are using support it, you can add this favourite as a custom home menu or submenu. Here is an example how to proceed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8edJlmG6lw). You can do the same to add a Launcher or an Item custom as home menu or submenu. If the skin you are using do not allow to do this, you will have to ask the skin develloper to add this feature or use another skin.

(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: I'm also now getting an "Impossible to assign thumb" error when trying to apply a thumbnail to an individual title.
When do you have this error? During scan? During thumb scraping? During thumb image file path modification? What is the selected thumb path for your luancher or your item? Does the XBMC user have the rights to create de file into this folder?

(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: Something's wonky with Advanced Launcher in my XBMC (latest stable version 12.0). I installed Advanced Launcher per recommended instructions and when I go to set up Project64 (using the exact settings detailed on this website) the folder skips all v64 files
Have you well indicated .v64 extension during your launcher configuration?

(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: doesn't display the artwork
Have you setup the thumb and fanart images scrapers before start a "scan for new items"?

(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: and worst of all I have no way of accessing the folder from the main menu. I created a custom menu called Games that opens up the "Project64" launcher I set up but then XBMC glitches out and displays just the theme background.
Have you even use the "scan for new items" option to add the .v64 files to the launcher and scrap their information?

(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: I've been going in circles for hours, checking and double-checking to make sure I've done everything 100% correctly. Any ideas?
You may have may not correctly setup your launcher. Could you post here the content of your launchers.xml file using pastebin service?

maybe useful links :
(2013-03-03, 00:07)Leogan Wrote: EDIT: I figured out the v64 file extension issue but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get this custom home title I created "Games" to open and display the games that XBMC has loaded. I'm also now getting an "Impossible to assign thumb" error when trying to apply a thumbnail to an individual title.

Make sure you do not use SMB paths in any of the Advanced Launchers settings. I spent hours until I found out that SMB paths don't work. So you need to map your shares to a drive letter any only use that mapped drive for any and all settings inside advanced launcher
The cake is a lie!
Amazing Add-on, Angelscry! :-)

So, how about a little samba upgrade? Would that be possible?

I have a huge centralised XBMC SMB server set up in between house of my parents and ours, sharing all the stuff with my father (for him mostly for music and concerts, but he would really like to play some lemmings on DosBox and I would love to play vintage RPGs like bards tale on all of my clients).

Would you mind looking into that (even in case you should be a hardcore Linux guru)? Pretty please :-)

Merry Xmas!
(2013-12-26, 03:59)RTFM || STFU Wrote: Amazing Add-on, Angelscry! :-)

So, how about a little samba upgrade? Would that be possible?

I have a huge centralised XBMC SMB server set up in between house of my parents and ours, sharing all the stuff with my father (for him mostly for music and concerts, but he would really like to play some lemmings on DosBox and I would love to play vintage RPGs like bards tale on all of my clients).

Would you mind looking into that (even in case you should be a hardcore Linux guru)? Pretty please :-)

Merry Xmas!
I'm pretty sure that DosBox (like most of applications that support paths into their command line) do not support SMB paths. So... I could try to add SMB paths support into Advanced Launcher, but you will still not able to use DoxBox.

Instead, you can easily localy mount your network shares on your system and access them using common paths. It will work at 100% with Advanced Launcher, DocBox, and all the other applications.
Thanks for the reply!

Hm, mapping drives is kind of inconvenient, although I did that now as a workaround.

Would it be possible to implement an OS selective wrapper, that parses smb:// protocol links into backslash Ms network paths for the actual command?
There is actually a 100% compatible solution by using mapping drives that take less than 2 minutes to users to setup on a Windows operating system. Does DosBox support MS Network paths into its command line?
Right.

However, you are stating the obvious: a workaround that I already applied, because of a missing feature in your release.

Whether DosBox does not yet feature the smb:// protocol is irrelevant and something I would have dealt with once I noticed (thank you for telling me though, it makes sense, of course). The MS network path proposition is also just a workaroung based on your response.

The issue here is, that it is not possible for users of your "advanced" launcher to use smb shares as a base for their external program lauch needs, unlike the rest of the XBMC community's products. I'm a dev myself, and I get very emotional when people point out shortcomings in my developments. So I empathise, even if you don't feel the same way about your code (which is unlikely).

DOSBox does support mounting of folders accessible through network shares (I tried it myself and it works): http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=25240

I will put it differently now, since me going on about this is not a bug report, but a feature request. You have obvious issues with your command interpreter of choice interpreting smb:// paths (native python for platform independence, I assume)..

It would be great, if:

1. You made it possible to select an command interpreter/shell via plug-in config, such as cmd, cygwin or PowerShell for wrapped calls.

2. We maybe had more variables for the launcher arguments, i.e. basepath and possibly others, Like that we could e.g. with the proposed smb wrapper give DOSBox pattern based, but item-individual mount arguments, but that is of course just a gimmick, since in my case giving the DOSBox launcher a static mount argument and modifying the item paths is the solution to my problem, while being highly tedious and making your nice scan and select GUI partically half-useless for me, since I will now just as well write .nfo files with a python script myself...).

Thanks for the patience and the correspondence! I love it when devs take time to answer support questions. I never had to, cause I only come in contact withj users of my stuff in qualitative research before the system design, but if I should take part in an open-source project somewhen, I certainly will. :-)

Cheers, mate! Merry X-Mas (or other holidays) and a happy new year!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced Launcher problems in Windows 80