No sound and video stutters
Hi I am using XBMC with my new HTPC for two months now. Everything has been working great until yesterday.

I started XBMC and I noticed there were no GUI sounds. Then when I started a video, there was no sound, and the video stuttered horribly.

I did not make any change in the system, other then running a virus scan from an Ubuntu USB stick.

My HTPC is connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR which is connected to the TV via HDMI also (goes into an Audio Returnchannel HDMI port on the TV).

When I play the video within windows, it works fine. The Surround Sound test in Windows is also OK. I did notice. that the sound mixer shows the HDMI port several times, which is odd, but I think this was like this from the beginning.

this is my hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225, 2x 3.30GHz
Mainboard: Intel DH77DF, Intel H77 (ITX)
Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics (integriert)
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR3-1333 (2x 2GB)
Pulse-eight -CEC internal adapter for HDMI -CEC
DENON AVR-1911
Sony KDL 40-EX715
5.1 Speakers

XBMC debug log: http://pastebin.com/10MsCxki

Realtek HD Audio driver version 6.0.1.6804
Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver Version 9.17.10.2932
Win 7 Version 6.1 (Build 7601, SP1)
XBMC 12.1

I have really no idea what is wrong and I appreciate evrey help.

Update: I just noticed, that when looking at the playback devices, the HDMI output is shown to be not plugged in. I checked the cable, it sits firm in the port- Also I reinstalled the drivers just to make sure. Still no change. After that I deleted the audio devices from the Devicemanager and then rediscovered them. That did not help either.
Having multiple HDMI entries is not right.

Is the AVR switched on before XBMC is started?

How do you use the Pulse Eight? and how long have you been using it for? HDMI control (CEC) can sometimes cause audio problems, so have tried using XBMC without the Pulse Eight connected.
Update 2:

I now reinstalled the chipset drivers, because I noticed an SM Buscontroller, that had a little warning trianglr ion the device manager. Now sound is working again in XBMC but the HDMI output still shows to be disconnected. I am also not sure weather 5.1 surround sound works . Is there a test video that anybody can recommend?
You can use Dolby Digital channel check from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire..._check.rar

Use "Trailer Download" link to download, the other links are advertising.
I am using CEC adapter since the beginning. Also I am using the internal one, which directly connects to the HTPC header and a USB header on the motherboard. So I don't think the adapter is the issue.

I just found out, that my AV Receiver was turned off, so the sound came from the mediocre TV speakers. I tried it again now and everything seems fine now. I am not sure what caused the problem. a Dolby Surround test video would stilol be nice. So if anybody knows one, please let me know.
(2013-04-21, 13:05)jjd-uk Wrote: You can use Dolby Digital channel check from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire..._check.rar

Use "Trailer Download" link to download, the other links are advertising.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Now I know, that my 5.1 setup is working like it should.
After having this problem again and again, it turned out, that it was a problem with an updated sound driver in Windows. After installing all motherboard drivers again it worked. I havebn't had problems for a long time now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound and video stutters0