HTPC linux build, can you help me reduce the price ?
Thanks to some really helpful guys on this forum (special thanks to Dougie), I have managed to have a basic design on my first HTPC.
Primary use would be to run linux with XBMC, Internet browsing, watch DVD/BLu-ray, act as NAS and run some other low CPU-intensive server functions (like backup utilities). No gaming.
I have tried to keep the cost as low as possible but still with good quality components which can allow small upgrade in the future.
Here is then my first build (price are from Germany)
  • InterTech Mini ITX E-i7 (ou Realan E-I7) (79€): No IR window (except if you ordered it from ecosmartpc.com), it is not the most compact case (that would be the MC-80BL/HT-80) but the extra space allow a low profile expansion card and 2 hard-drives.
  • ASRock H61M-ITX (58€): Cheapest but good quality H61 board I found. H61MV-ITX is a little bit cheaper but doesn't have USB3. It has a CIR header which can be used for remote control. No wifi but that could be added later with a PCIe expansion card (and I figure that the wifi reception will be better that way)
  • Intel Celeron G1610 (36€): should be enough for 1080p decoding (no 3d though). Can be upgraded later to i3-3225 when the price will drop
  • Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 CL9 (17€): 2GB shoud be enough for linux. Maybe a Low Profile RAM will be better for cabling/cooling ?
  • Lite-On DS-6E2SH Blu-ray and DVD/CD burner (45€): DVD/CD writer is not necessary but I haven't found a better deal
  • Western Digital Scorpio Blue SATA II 1TB (64€): quiet, low consumption and performance is decent (tricky for setting up though because of the Intellipark 'feature')

Total price is currently: 300€ (I hope that I haven't forgot anything ?)
I am hoping to be below 25W while idle.

I would welcome any advices on the setup, especially if there is a way to decrease the price with the same set of features/quality (and linux compatibility).
I am especially worried about the power and the heating, should I buy any special CPU cooler or more efficient PSU ?

The end of the quest is near, thanks !
You are pretty much as cheap as it gets outside of going for a Celeron 847 board or switching to a AMD combo itx board.
I've read that Intel is better than AMD for linux. That's why I chose this combo motherboard/CPU (and it allows me to upgrade later to i3-3225).
Thanks for your advice !
It's only 2mm aluminum so if you're at all handy with a drill you could probably drill a small hole just big enough for an IR receiver eye to see out. You'll need to touch up the inner wall of your hole with some black paint if you get the black one. It won't be at all noticeable.

The ecosmartpc model also has a 12V 180W DC powerboard with all solid caps instead of the standard 12V 120W DC powerboard. This allows usage of up to a 12V 180W AC adapter whereas the one you have there is limited to 120W.

With the optical drive installed, you won't have room for a 3.5" HDD. Is that a 2.5" notebook drive in your list above?

You will need a low-profile CPU cooler. The stock cooler will not fit.

I'd recommend a single 80mm fan blowing in across the motherboard/hard drive since you will be using a HDD instead of an SSD, it adds enough heat it's good to have the case fan.
Ok thanks for the tip for the IR receiver. I may not need it (I think I will try to control through a small regular wireless keyboard) but we'll see.

What is a powerboard with solid caps (sorry for the newby question) ?
Do you think I need to have a powerboard more powerful for my setup ?

Yes it is a 2.5" notebook drive in my list.

Shame for the stock CPU cooler, what would be your recommendation for a low profile CPU cooler (Gelid ?) ? I don't know the height I can afford.

So I will need to have 2 fan (CPU cooler + case cooler) ? I hope that the noise won't be too loud. Can you also recommend which case fan I should get ?

Thanks a thousand times !
The power supply in these cases has two parts: an internal DC-DC powerboard and an external AC-DC adapter (like a laptop). The internal DC powerboard that comes standard with the E-i7 is a 12V 120W DC powerboard with non-soild ("wet') capacitors. Ecosmartpc's E-i7 models have the DC-DC powerboard upgraded to a 12V 180W model with all solid capacitors. Solid capacitors are higher quality. The higher rating of the DC powerboard also allows the DC powerbaord to be used with a higher output AC adapter, e.g. 150W, etc.

For your build that doesn't matter a whole lot. You'll pull maybe 60W at full load. If you were going to add a discrete video card and do some gaming, it would matter.

I am not sure what low-profile cooler and fans are available to you. If you want to post a link to where you shop online folks, myself included, can make some recommendations. You'll have around 40mm of space to work with.
I am shopping here (it is basically a lookup site for the best prices in Germany):
http://www.idealo.de/
Scythe Kozuti (40 mm) is listed there for 23€ for instance.

Thanks for the little course on the powerboard, it is much clearer now.

I'd appreciate any recommendation of the low profile cooler or fans. It seems to be a very delicate subject when working on small cases.
From what I could find on that site, the Noctua NH-L9i and the Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus are good CPU coolers. The Kozuti might be to close to the bottom of the 2.5" drive making it hard for it to cool. If available also good is the Silverstone NT07-1156.

For case fans, 80x80x25, PWM fans by Gelid, Noctua or Scythe are a good bet.
Ok here are the prices I found:
- Silverstone SST-NT07-1156 Intel Nitrogon NT07: 21€
- Noctua NH-L9i: 33€
- GELID Slim Silence I-Plus: 14€

I found a review of low profile coolers here (maybe it is you ?):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1404634/low-pr...-throwdown

It seems that the Noctua is top-notch but really is too expensive. I found some mixed review on the Gelid (some says that it may become too loud).
I found some mixed review on the Gelid, but couldn't reach definite opinion.
I think I'll try and see how it goes and move up to Silverstone or Noctua if it isn't good enough.

For the 80x80x25 fans I found:
- Noctua NF-R8-1800: 13€
- Scythe Kama Flow2: 12€
- GELID Silent 8 (FN-SX08-16): 8€

Some are said to work for 3 or 4 pins, I don't know what that means but I hope that it will be compatible.

Thanks again for your precious advises.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC linux build, can you help me reduce the price ?0