Choppy XBMC after a while
Hey everyone,
I've been using XBMC on my Pivos DS for a few months now and I seem to be having the same issue over and over. I will try to explain what is going on.

From a fresh install of XBMC everything runs great. I import movies and tv shows from my unraid server so I have a movies and tv shows menu on my main menu. I keep the default skin because I find that one runs the best.

The issue I am having is after weeks of use the box starts slowing down and video playback starts to get choppy to the point that it is unwatchable. I then have to boot into the menu(using the button at the bottom of the box) and either do a factory reset or delete the cache.

This is very frustrating because I then have to set the box back up again and import everything and install any addons.

Is there something else I can do so I don't have to do this all the time?

Thank you!
df -h
(2013-10-05, 20:25)davilla Wrote: df -h

Thanks for the reply.

What does that do and how do I do that? lol
Free Space on drives...
(2013-10-06, 00:58)menno Wrote: Free Space on drives...

I'm not actually copying the movies to the Pivos.

What do you mean?

Thanks for the reply!
I think they mean that is a terminal command that can be typed in to check for free space. The Pivos XIOS doesn't have a lot of memory, so even if you're just doing normal stuff, various little files that are created normally can sometimes max out that memory and then cause issues.

Somewhere I wrote down how to SSH into a Pivos XIOS, but I think that's with the linux build. Under Android I would assume you could simply use a file manager app from Google Play to check free space as well. My own Pivos is in "linux mode" right now, so it's a bit hard for me to check.

If running out of memory is the issue then the solution would be to get a micro SD card and put it in the Pivos. I think (not sure, since I know it's different on Android) it will automatically put XBMC's userdata folder stuff on the mSD card when there is one inside, which should help considerably.
(2013-10-06, 05:10)Ned Scott Wrote: I think they mean that is a terminal command that can be typed in to check for free space. The Pivos XIOS doesn't have a lot of memory, so even if you're just doing normal stuff, various little files that are created normally can sometimes max out that memory and then cause issues.

Somewhere I wrote down how to SSH into a Pivos XIOS, but I think that's with the linux build. Under Android I would assume you could simply use a file manager app from Google Play to check free space as well. My own Pivos is in "linux mode" right now, so it's a bit hard for me to check.

If running out of memory is the issue then the solution would be to get a micro SD card and put it in the Pivos. I think (not sure, since I know it's different on Android) it will automatically put XBMC's userdata folder stuff on the mSD card when there is one inside, which should help considerably.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I do have a micro SD card and I am running the Linux build. I will put the SD card in the Pivos and give it a reboot.

How can I tell that userdata folder has been moved properly?

Thanks again for the help!
Make a folder in the parent directory of the SD card called "xbmc-data" and reboot the XIOS. It should detect the folder and move the existing files over.
(2013-10-06, 22:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Make a folder in the parent directory of the SD card called "xbmc-data" and reboot the XIOS. It should detect the folder and move the existing files over.

Awesome! Everything works great. I did do a factory wipe anyway just to make sure things were clean and things are working great. Hopefully everything stays working great! (fingers crossed!)

Thanks again for all the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy XBMC after a while0