Win Automatic Thumbnails [Gotham]
Hey folks,

My understanding of the wiki is that, in order to automatically set the thumbnail for an individual item, you set the thumbnail image as *file name*-poster.[jpg/png]

I've done this, but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? There are just too many files that I am working with for me to do this manually.

Any help appreciated, cheers.
What exactly are you trying to do? If you are trying to setup posters/fanart for your movies/TV shows/music, then you can do this automatically for all of them in one go via scrapers when you add the source. You don't have to do it manually for each item.

Please explain clearly what you want to achieve and someone will be able to tell you how to do it.
DEBUG log: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy
HTPC advice: http://mymediaexperience.com , http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-bui...lete-guide
My HTPC: an Acer Revo RL80 Nettop PC:
Windows 10
Intel Core-i3-2377M @ 1.5GHz, 4GB DDR3 @ 665MHz, Intel HD3000
465GB SATA disk, DVD-RW, 1.8TB Seagate USB disk

I want custom thumbnails, not the ones that are scraped.

e.g. I want 'S3E23 - All Our Yesterdays.avi' to use 'S3E23 - All Our Yesterdays-poster.jpg' rather than the default scraped thumbnail.

Because of the number of files involved, setting these manually is not practical. I want XBMC to automatically use a local file rather than scrape thumbnails.

This is the section of the wiki which seems relevant to what I am doing:

Quote: 3 Thumbnails for individual items in a single directory

Name the icon file the same as the file you would like it to display for with a -poster.jpg or -poster.png extension ie: Transformers.avi, Transformers-poster.jpg. This is particularly useful for using custom thumbnails for movies.

Example:

Movies\path\moviename.avi
Movies\path\moviename-poster.(jpg/png)
Movies\path\moviename.jpg
I think he just needs to do a "folder source" Scan from within XBMC..let it do its thing then deal with missing artwork later.
I have had to manually do this over the last few weeks. And there is plenty of good threads on it.

To tidy it up after a full library scan, I have used lightMediaManager, main reason is that it is faster then most of the others in interface operations.. (Once you have loaded the database).. It also will write the batch NFOs after you have done all your checking.

I had to work on over 850 movies but have them all sorted now. Just got to put the time into it as for sure you are going to get missing or some wrong movie scrapes..
(2014-03-13, 01:01)dgcruzing Wrote: I think he just needs to do a "folder source" Scan from within XBMC..let it do its thing then deal with missing artwork later.
I have had to manually do this over the last few weeks. And there is plenty of good threads on it.

To tidy it up after a full library scan, I have used lightMediaManager, main reason is that it is faster then most of the others in interface operations.. (Once you have loaded the database).. It also will write the batch NFOs after you have done all your checking.

I had to work on over 850 movies but have them all sorted now. Just got to put the time into it as for sure you are going to get missing or some wrong movie scrapes..

I'm not sure what a 'folder source' scan is. I have removed the items from my library and readded them through 'scan for new content' (while having the individual thumbnail art files listed as suggested in the wiki). Doing this results in XBMC just scraping the video thumbnails. How do I do a 'folder source' scan (if that is different than what I am doing)?
My understanding is that when you added the TV shows source it will have scraped the poster for each episode from the Internet (e.g. TVDB.org). To get it to use the relevant ones that you have created you will indeed have to redo each one manually by bringing up the information for each TV series episode and selecting 'choose art'.

Another option is to export your library, which will create .nfo files in which the poster will be specified, then you can edit the .nfo file and replace that name with the name of the thumbnail you have created.
DEBUG log: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy
HTPC advice: http://mymediaexperience.com , http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-bui...lete-guide
My HTPC: an Acer Revo RL80 Nettop PC:
Windows 10
Intel Core-i3-2377M @ 1.5GHz, 4GB DDR3 @ 665MHz, Intel HD3000
465GB SATA disk, DVD-RW, 1.8TB Seagate USB disk

(2014-03-13, 01:19)elusien Wrote: My understanding is that when you added the TV shows source it will have scraped the poster for each episode from the Internet (e.g. TVDB.org). To get it to use the relevant ones that you have created you will indeed have to redo each one manually by bringing up the information for each TV series episode and selecting 'choose art'.

Another option is to export your library, which will create .nfo files in which the poster will be specified, then you can edit the .nfo file and replace that name with the name of the thumbnail you have created.

If that is the case, then the wiki is rather out of date.

Quote:You can easily create your very own user-defined thumbnails on your computer with image tools like Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET or even Paint in Windows.
You can alternatively download thumbnails that others have created on the internet. Then you simply have to rename those thumbnails and transfer/copy them to the right location and XBMC will display them.
For an episode, you probably just want *filename*-thumb.jpg.

Reason is that it's unlikely you actually want a poster (portrait) style bit of art, and (more importantly) XBMC won't look for posters for episodes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-03-13, 01:41)jmarshall Wrote: For an episode, you probably just want *filename*-thumb.jpg.

Reason is that it's unlikely you actually want a poster (portrait) style bit of art, and (more importantly) XBMC won't look for posters for episodes.

Yay! That was it! Thanks a lot, that saved me an immense amount of time! Big Grin
You can have various season posters as shown in the wiki as well.

scott s.
(2014-03-13, 01:39)Whale Cancer Wrote:
(2014-03-13, 01:19)elusien Wrote: My understanding is that when you added the TV shows source it will have scraped the poster for each episode from the Internet (e.g. TVDB.org). To get it to use the relevant ones that you have created you will indeed have to redo each one manually by bringing up the information for each TV series episode and selecting 'choose art'.

If that is the case, then the wiki is rather out of date.

Yes, I have found the wiki to be fairly out of date over the years on this particular issue. The information on the naming of files, posters, fanart, episode thumbs etc is a total mess to be honest, not to mention the amount of times it's been changed (tbn,jpg,-suffix or no suffix,local handled first,etc). It's *very* difficult to figure out exactly what is acceptable.
And if you don;t fix the wiki it will be the same for the next user.
Is there a way to change an scraped episode thumb to an extracted thumb? I got some old series which have crappy thumbs and i'd like to use a thumb extracted/created from meta data.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic Thumbnails [Gotham]0